GB Wants London Talks on Pullout

morddwyd 07:07 17 Nov 09

El Gordo wants talks in London to decide a timetable for an Afghanistan pull out.

click here

Since this is, and always has been, a UN operation, has the UN moved its HQ to London, or is Gordon now thinking of taking us out of the UN?

sunnystaines 07:45 17 Nov 09

I thought the idea of nato in afghan was that if it fell to the taliban it would be then used to aid the overthrow of pakistan which in a bad scenario could link up with iran and threaten india and or other middle east nations.

oil comes to mind and a nuclear arsenal in the hands of that lot

spuds 11:00 17 Nov 09

One very simple question: Have you ever known of a UN initiative being successful!.

JanetO 11:04 17 Nov 09

Perhaps it's in response to the UN pulling out click here

Or possibly because a large percentage of us plebs want the UK to pull out.

More than a third of voters (36 per cent) believe that troops should be withdrawn immediately, according to the latest Populus poll for The Times β€” up from 29 per cent in mid-September.

Al94 11:35 17 Nov 09

Or something to do with an election next year?

Forum Editor 17:58 17 Nov 09

you will say almost anything to get it.

When you are in power you will say almost anything to hold onto it.

Understand those two simple premises, and you'll understand the mechanics of politics, and the reason why people say things such as β€œIt (the proposed London conference) should identify a process for transferring district by district to full Afghan control and set a timetable for transfer starting in 2010.”

I could have said that, or you could have, or the man who services my car could have said it. The statement is a classic example of saying something that means absolutely nothing whilst sounding assertive and positive.

Grey Goo 19:33 17 Nov 09

Bit like lying then. Still they have had years of practice.

Spark6 20:09 17 Nov 09

One of the qualifications of most politicians. If only they were as good at the running of this country as they are at that we would never ever get into this sort of mess. The alternative honourable members on the other side of the big house don't inspire any confidence in me whatsoever!

morddwyd 20:14 17 Nov 09

"Have you ever known of a UN initiative being successful!."

Korea, some African interventions (but by no means all), Cyprus, the Balkans,

"a large percentage of us plebs want the UK to pull out."

Pulling out of the UN would not solve anything, any more than pulling out of Europe.

Stay in and try to influence events, not stand outside moaning about them.

spuds 22:25 17 Nov 09

But isn't Korea still divided!.

Ask many a nations troops who have witnessed Affica's bloodshed and massacres in front of their own eyes, yet could not intervene, because their remit stated so!.

Isn't Cyprus still divided and arguments about land and property ownership still going on!.

And as for the Balkans, I think they you may already know the anser to that!.

Some countries are in the UN but are deeply in financial debt to it.

"Stay in and try to influence events". I think all the answers are above.

Forum Editor 23:34 17 Nov 09

It has nothing to do with lying. I'm not saying that politicians never lie, any more than I would say 'forum members never lie', but in this instance I'm quite sure lying isn't what's going on.

Gordon Brown was telling the truth when he said what he believed should happen at the proposed conference, but then anyone could say it; we all believe it should happen. My point was that he was stating the obvious. He did it so it can be referred to in the future - 'Gordon Brown called for....etc.'

That way he looks good whatever happens. If no such process is identified at the conference Gordon can finger wag - 'I said it should happen but it hasn't'.

If there is such a process he can bask in the sun - 'I called for such a process months ago, and the world heard me'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…