Gates to go!

LastChip 21:13 16 Jun 06

Well not quite, but news that Bill Gates is to step down from full time control of the Microsoft empire, will no doubt lead to intense discussion throughout the world. click here

Love him or hate him, no one can deny, he has had the vision to place more computers on desktops in the world, than anyone three decades ago thought would be possible.

Ultimately however, it's the company's stock market value that counts and I suspect that may have been instrumental in his? decision.

Personally, for all my criticism of Microsoft, I wish him well. No one should under estimate the wrench it is to hand over control of a company that you co-founded, even though it has proven financially beneficial.

VoG II 21:27 16 Jun 06

I've had a sneaking (in fact, a lot more than sneaking) admiration for Microsoft ever since ca. 1982 when I used their Fortran compiler on a little Oki computer with about 64 KB of memory. It worked really well, did the job and was user friendly (for those days).

I really cannot understand the 'Gates is the Anti Christ' brigade. As you say, if it wasn't for him then millions of people would not have access to easy-to-use home computers (until they go wrong of course but that's not his fault).

He isn't actually leaving Microsoft of course, so I'm sure he will continue to have a lot of influence. Which is a good thing as visionaries who actually understand the technicalities are extremely few and far between.

bluto1 21:31 16 Jun 06

I agree with you when you say that he has done more to put PC`s on desktops than anyone else
and I too find it a little hard to accept that he`s retiring from his position. He`s still a young(ish) man and could use his brain to give the world another way to turn.
However, as you said, let`s wish him well, whatever he`s got from `it` he`s given millions of us the pleasure of Personal Computers

bluto1 21:34 16 Jun 06

Lovely comments and absolutely correct.

Forum Editor 21:39 16 Jun 06

maybe I can correct a couple of points?

1. The stock price hasn't played any part in this - Bill Gates wants to be free to spend more time on the work of The Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation. He's probably the world's single biggest donator to charity already, and I believe he intends to increase the Foundation's contributions to humanitarian causes - one of which is the total elimination of Malaria from our planet.

2. He's not withdrawing from Microsoft unreservedly - he'll still be the Chairman. All that's happening is that Bill is choosing to take life a little easier - wouldn't you, if you were 50 years old, and your personal fortune has at times been as high as $100 billion?

Bill wants to do good things with his money, and he hasn't made a bad start - he's already given more than 50% of his personal wealth to charitable causes. He believes he has the power to kick-start improvements to the lives of millions of people all over the world, and I doubt that he's wrong. Good luck to him, he's one of the few genuinely altruistic rich men I've met.

Forum Editor 08:28 17 Jun 06

I don't know why - Bill's wife is of course called Melinda.

Sorry, Melinda.

Al94 09:11 17 Jun 06

Link to the Gates Foundation website click here well worth a look.

wolfie3000 09:26 17 Jun 06

interesting website but when i clicked on about us it asked for a username and password?

wee eddie 09:37 17 Jun 06

They must have known that you were coming!

wolfie3000 09:52 17 Jun 06

Im getting paraniod about it now does anyone else get the log in request like this?

click here

Joe R 09:58 17 Jun 06

wolfie3000,

your link takes me to the imageshack photo hosting site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…