Gas found under Blackpool

carver 09:44 AM 23 Sep 11

I started reading about this and at first though that at least we have a bit of good news.

Problem was when I found out how they extract the gas from under ground and what can happen I started to wonder if it really is as good as it sounds.

greyballs 10:02 AM 23 Sep 11

looks like a trailer for a new blockbuster ,along with the mandatory deeeep voiced narative.

johndrew 11:04 AM 23 Sep 11

"Gas found under Blackpool"

Hardly surprising given the number of hen, stag and other celebratory nights held there ;-)

woodchip 11:29 AM 23 Sep 11

"hen, stag and other celebratory nights held there" I was thinking more on the lines of Garbage they throw away or make

Aitchbee 12:05 PM 23 Sep 11

The citizens of Liverpool are known as Liverpudlians.Are the people of Blackpool known as Black Puddings?

Quickbeam 12:07 PM 23 Sep 11

Somebody strike a match quick!

Aitchbee 12:11 PM 23 Sep 11

Seriously, I think, if there is a viable amount of gas there, all of 'the big six' energy companies, in the UK, will be already fighting to get their greedy hands on it.

Bingalau 12:54 PM 23 Sep 11

I can remember when gas was found under the North Sea, it was going to be sold much cheaper than manufactured gas etc. and was going to last "yonks" (I think that means longer than I expected to live). I have no idea what happened to the promises made at that time but I don't recall prices coming down. If the same promises are made about this discovery, take no notice folks. The price will still keep rising.

wiz-king 12:54 PM 23 Sep 11

Miners annual conference?

morddwyd 21:17 PM 23 Sep 11

"I have no idea what happened to the promises made at that time"

The same thing that happened to the promises of cheap (some even suggested free) electricity when nuclear power stations were first mooted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…