Garry Glitter - What now?

version8 10:20 21 Aug 08

So it seems convicted Paedophile and ex-pop star Gary Glitter has returned to Thailand after being refused entry to Hong Kong.

He seems not to want to return to the UK.
And the reason is he knows he will be monitored more strictly here.

If Glitter ever does return to the UK, he will be met at the airport by police and required to sign the sex offenders register.

He will then be subject to monitoring and have to tell the police where he plans to live and if he planned to go abroad. He could also face an order prohibiting him from going near children or using the internet.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said on Tuesday it was her view that Glitter should be given a Foreign Travel Order (FTO) banning him from overseas travel.

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:25 21 Aug 08

'And the reason is he knows he will be monitored more strictly here'

it might also be because he knows the great British tabloid press will hound him relentlessly in the UK.

Pine Man 10:54 21 Aug 08

'required to sign the sex offenders register.'

You can't help wondering why this phrase is used. I wonder what happens if these perverts refuse to sign it, or is it actually signed. Is it even a register?

interzone55 11:08 21 Aug 08

You know what?

I was thinking the same thing - what is the process when signing the register?

smartpoly 11:16 21 Aug 08

Sex offenders must register with the police within three days of their conviction or release from prison.

Taken from this link.
click here

Pine Man 11:18 21 Aug 08

'Under the Sex Offenders Act 1997, as amended by the Sexual Offences Act 2003, all convicted sex offenders must register with the police within three days of their conviction or release from prison. This is monitored by the police, who receive notification from the courts following conviction, and both the prisons and probation service following an offender's release into the community.

Failure to register is an offence which can carry a term of imprisonment. Registrants must inform the police within three days if they change their name or address, and disclose if they are spending seven days or more away from their home. Convicted sex offenders have to register with their local police every year.'

No mention of signing, merely registering.

Pine Man 11:19 21 Aug 08

You beat me to it!

Jim Thing 13:31 21 Aug 08

Pine Man:
"...all convicted sex offenders must register with the police within three days of their conviction or release from prison."

Three days? Does that mean that Glitter now needn't register (if he ever shows his face in Britain again)?

Also, I noticed that the BBC initially seemed careful to say that he would be _asked_ to sign the Sex Offenders' Register. ("Excuse me Mr. Glitter sir, but would you mind...etc.) You couldn't make it up.

Arthur Scrimshaw:
"...he knows the great British tabloid press will hound him relentlessly in the UK."

Would that be the same great tabloid press that helped make him a pop star celebrity and all-round kiddies' favourite?

jack 13:50 21 Aug 08

In a Breakfast Show interview this morning one GG and what is to become of him, one of our regular Ex-Coppers- said - He is quite wealthy and is an accomplished Yachtsman.
So that an answer- Bring him home - sign the Register , put him on his yacht- and prohibit landing any where.

TopCat® 15:17 21 Aug 08

Doubt whether he had much choice. TC. click here

Bingalau 15:19 21 Aug 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5