Garage door lock

simonjary 15:15 15 Jun 09

Can anyone recommend a decent lock for a car garage - the sort that you fix to the ground, rather than just the garage door's standard key lock.

I've seen one called Garage Defender, but it got a pretty bad write-up on Amazon.

Cheers!

Simon

I am Spartacus 15:18 15 Jun 09

I use something very similar to these on my lift up door click here however if you lose the key I'm not sure how you'd get in without doing serious damage to the door.

I am Spartacus 15:19 15 Jun 09

Ah, found the exact model click here

Diemmess 15:43 15 Jun 09

Have a look at the GD 400 and GD 500
These work with a steel casting set in concrete at the threshhold centre.
The angle bracket shown is bolted to the door and a hefty locking pin drops down through the angle plate and becomes unwithdrawable with a separate key.

click here
I had one the 500 which was overkill and my son bought a smaller 400.

There is asolutely no way to force the lock and even a tinny up and over door would have to be cut all round the bolt to open up.

simonjary 16:00 15 Jun 09

Thanks!

I am Spartacus, how does this fit/work?

Diemmess, do you need to drill out the hole for the pin?

Cheers, Simon

Quickbeam 16:50 15 Jun 09

If you're garage has a separate personnel access, a simpler and cheaper option is an internal pair of hasps with quality padlocks inside. The downside of an obviously super secure garage lock, is it says "break into me, I've got valuables in the garage".

Al94 16:51 15 Jun 09

Locks are only there to keep honest men out!

I am Spartacus 18:23 15 Jun 09

The Pacri locks are fitted near the bottom of the door on either side. They require 3 holes drilling through the door for each lock, 2 for the blind bolts and one for the keyhole. There's a cover plate for the keyhole to tidy it up. You then need to drill a deep hole into each side of the door frame to line up where the bolts slide in.

I'm fairly ham-fisted but have managed to install them neatly. I did have to borrow a drill though as the bit required to drill the holes in the frame are quite a large diameter.

They've been on my garage door since 1991 with no signs of rusting or other deterioration.

They're not very visible from a distance either. If you're interested I'll take a photo.

Forum Editor 18:41 15 Jun 09

I have this one:-

click here

It seems pretty good to me.

I am Spartacus 18:42 15 Jun 09

My mind is going. They've been fitted since 2001 not 1991.

Diemmess 18:47 15 Jun 09

Yes you do need to drill out a hole.

I don't remember having much trouble with that, probably beause I drilled several holes around a radius and joined them with a friendly wallop from a cold chisel.

There is good "how to install" pdf for each lock on the website, so you can see the solid job it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…