Games and Computers

Neutered 01:40 22 Oct 04

It never ceases to amaze me how many Forum members seek advice on how to update their graphics card or ask for solutions to overcome system problems when running certain games.

In the majority of cases, it would appear that either parents or grandparents are requesting this information; in order that their offspring can happily play on a computer that is (primarily) designed to provide an excellent vehicle for the purposes of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations et al.

It beggars belief that those parents/grandparents have already spent some hundreds of pounds on a system `they needed' but are (apparently) willing to spend anything up to, if not more than, £100 to improve graphic card performance.

In my opinion, (for what it's worth), if your children/grandchildren want to play games, buy them a Playstation or X-Box.

I've lost too many files/programs due to my grandchildren's ability to hit the wrong keys and their ability to marvel at the brilliant blue colour of the screen requiring an Ctrl-Alt-Delete response!

Valvegrid 06:48 22 Oct 04

I must be a 56 year old grandchild then.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 08:03 22 Oct 04

You can't pretend to be working when you're playing on a console! There's no option to craftily load up your favourite retro arcade and have a sneaky play, whilst keeping Excel opened in the background - for that quick switch option...

Luckily, I don't have children - so all of the upgrades I do to this PC, in order to get shiny shiny graphics, are for my own gratification

Tenacious Green 11:33 22 Oct 04

Whilst the vast majority of games are covered for on consoles some simply are not ie. Flight sim.

In addition Some people want to combine their Pc as a tool for both therefore saving on their pockets in the long run.

CurlyWhirly 13:44 22 Oct 04

In my opinion, (for what it's worth), if your children/grandchildren want to play games, buy them a Playstation or X-Box.

I do agree with your above statement as I used to own a PlayStation 2 but even though they are easier to get your head round them as all you have to do is switch them on and insert the game CD and away you go, I still prefer my PC for gaming as the graphics are VASTLY superior in my opinion.

I think this is because you are looking at the game's graphics through the limited resolution of a tv set as opposed to a monitor.
Also a PC runs at much higher clock speeds than consoles and they have the latest 'cutting edge technology' graphics cards like the X800 XT for example.
Finally a PC is upgradeable where as consoles are not.

I sometimes play Medal of Honour on the PC. A few weeks ago, my friend offered me to play it on his PS2. I was absolutely appalled by it in comparison to what I was used to on my below average PC

When a console forst comes out what is the price?

£300 maybe £400? A PC can be got for that, whilst being able to use games, do work, surf the net and many other application's...

What can a console do? Play games..

Ok when consoles are cheaper they are better value for money, but you are looking at a thing that is 3-4 years old..

I much prefer my PC. I spent 5 months in devon this year brought a console (PS2 £80 off a mate) Played it all summer when not working, now i am back home, in 3 week's i touched it once.

I have spent more time back on my PC, playing Battlefield , Counterstrike and Rome Total War, talking to mate's and general surfing amongst other thing's. Ok they can be a pain is the rear end at the worst of time's, but i think if you give a kid a console they dont really learn much, where as a PC can give a new world to explore (The net) all be it with a side that is dangerous.

But if you teach you kid/grandkid's to respect it be careful, then they wont wreck it, i even let my nephew's and niece's from ages of 12 and down on it, all be it i do sit near by incase there is a problem but they know what they can do and cant do...

Forum Editor 19:15 22 Oct 04

is that they very rapidly become far more expert at using a computer than their parents and grandparents.

I fail to see the problem here - if people want to spend some of their money on a graphics card for their grandchildren it's up to them isn't it? It's pretty easy to stop your grandchildren (or anyone else for that matter) from losing your files or programs - just create a separate user account for them and make your data folders private. Then you can all use the same computer in total safety.

Dan the Confused 19:50 22 Oct 04

Also worth remembering that PCs owe a lot to games. One of the reasons they are so cheap and powerful these days is a direct result of the games industry.

PCs have a wide variety of uses and entertainment is but one. They can be used by anyone for anything and that can only be a good thing.

Neutered 23:42 22 Oct 04

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed. I will cetainly re-think my current views (much to the delight of my grandchildren). Henceforth I will be known as `Forward Thinker' - Fastest Zimmer in the West!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…