Gamers in china suffer?

wolfie3000 00:25 09 Apr 06

Just watched Click on the news 24 channel this evening and was surprised to learn the chinese goverment are restricting online gamers on how long they play.

Is this an infringment on there civil liberties?

Is it workable?

Does it mean the demise of online gaming for china?

Will it come to britain? (I hope not)

Heres the article.

click here

zincy 01:14 09 Apr 06

I think i heard this one a while ago.. It because there have been a few case where people gamed so long that they died!! Especailly on world of warcraft where its highly addictive..
Will it come into the UK? I doubt it as I think most of the people in uk only game in moderate amounts?

rdave13 01:15 09 Apr 06

Or does it mean that online gaming has just started in China and things will only get better.

There's money to be made and that is a worldwide hunger.

Forum Editor 01:34 09 Apr 06

Well yes, I suppose it is, but there's more to this story than that.

To fully appreciate the problem here you need to understand a little about the way many Chinese people are. They are inveterate gamblers, and huge numbers of them are incredibly vulnerable when it comes to addictive behaviour. Picture yourself as a youn Chinese person, living and working in, say, Shanghai. You lead a pretty humdrum life, living in a tiny flat with many members of your family. Conditions are cramped, and you have little to look forward to at the end of the day's work, save a couple of hours of TV before you go to bed. All around you, every day, are constant reminders of Western wealth. You see them on TV, and in the hotels and bars frequented by Western business people. Life can be grim.

But there's the corner internet cafe to come to your rescue. There, you can while away your leisure time in the fantasy world of online gaming. In that world you're successful and powerful, andother people respect you - none of which is the case in your real life.

It can all be very addictive, and thousands of (mainly young) Chinese people have developed a very real problem - they've become addicted, quite literally, to online gaming, and will sit there, hour after hour, right around the clock, until their money runs out.

I've seen these people, and it's a scary experience, I can tell you. The Chinese government is concerned about the problem, so they're doing something about it. They have the Olympic games coming up, and the last thing they want is a host of TV documentaries about how the flower of Chinese youth is wasting its life away playing fantasy games. They want images of healthy, pretty Chinese girls sitting at computer monitors in software development companies, and showing visitors around the sights of Beijing.

Yes, they're limiting the personal freedoms of some of their citizens, but that's nothing new, it happens all the time in China. This time however I have a degree of sympathy for what they're doing, and I expect it to work to a large extent. When the government in China decides somethingis going to change, it changes, albeit slowly, and often at a price in terms of personal sacrifice on the part of its citizens.

wolfie3000 02:04 09 Apr 06

Its a pity FE that the chinese goverment arent dealing with the problem in a more constructive way,
Say by making sure the gamers take "time outs",
Many of my freinds take "time outs" where they go and do something else in the real world.

Its just common sense.

I can understand what you say about the gambling culture of the chinese youth but i think online gaming as a whole is different to gambling,

The chinese youth need to be taught that online gaming is fun but theres a whole exciting world out there in the real world just waiting to be explored,

The chinese goverment have missed one thing though,
Offline gamers, gamers that play games offline i think the chinese goverment havent thought it through.

rdave13 02:18 09 Apr 06

Don't you think that this sounds just a little familliar to our own little island?

wolfie3000 02:20 09 Apr 06

Rdave13 how do you mean?

rdave13 02:28 09 Apr 06

How many of our youngsters immers themselves in computer games and are exeptional in them but in true life are hardly able to speak correctly unless they spout profanities. I try hard to teach all my offsprings to treat every adult with some respect but I'm always thwarted by the next neanderthal that comes along.

wolfie3000 02:32 09 Apr 06

Well i dont know about that as all the gamers i know are 25 and over but i fail to see how gamers who shout profanities has anything to do with this thread?

rdave13 10:31 09 Apr 06

It's just that my lad used to enjoy online gaming. He'd take a break every hour or so to rest. Lately he doesn't bother anymore because of the abusive, and sometimes nasty comments made by, usually, the looser. This trend isn't just on one particular game and is a shame really.Could it be that playing hours on end make people tired and grumpy?

Forum Editor 10:52 09 Apr 06

to make sure gamers take time-outs, that's for the gamers themselves to do.

I repeat what I said earlier, you must understand a little of the Chinese psyche before you can see why this has bgecome such a problem - don't make judgments based on your own experiences and attitudes. China is a very different place to England or America, very different indeed, and many Western critics of Chinese customs and values fall into the trap of judging the people according to standards that prevail here.

Go to the country and work in it, as I have, and you'll see an altogether different picture. China has a great deal to offer the world - the Chinese people were circumnavigating the planet long before we were, and they had a rich and sophisticated culture whilst we were still living in hovels in the East Anglian swamps. Chinese culture is amazingly complex and takes some understanding.

They'll tackle the gaming problem in their own way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5