Future Queen

Bingalau 21:50 19 Nov 10

Just spotted this news item

click here

john bunyan 22:22 19 Nov 10

A personal view - he should step aside in favour of William if the Monarchy is to remain popular. I never understood why he was not made to follow the example of Edward 7th on marrying a divorcee and cuckolding a brother officer.

Brumas 22:28 19 Nov 10

Quite so, my view entirely. Having said that I think the Princess Royal would make a good Queen!

morddwyd 08:19 20 Nov 10

Edward 7th was a bit of a playboy, but he didn't abdicate; he dies in office in 1910.

If you mean Edward 8th., he certainly didn't have to abdicate because of his admiration of Hitler.

At that time,1936, most of the British establishment thought Hitler would be good for Europe.

It was his obsession with Wallis Simpson which caused his downfall, though I don't think her husband was a brother officer, by the relevant time he was no longer serving.

She was also a double divorcee, and the standards of the time were totally different.

He was head of the Church of England which at that time was a lot more powerful, and less inclined to look favourably on divorce than it is today.

There are also those who believe, and I am one of them, that Wallis never believed that he would have to abdicate, and it was a bit of blackmail which went wrong.

Camilla is a different person altogether, and she will make a far better Queen Consort that the previous blonde bimbo he got involved with.

n47. 08:34 20 Nov 10

" Camilla is a different person altogether, and she will make a far better Queen Consort "

As they say
the peasants will be revolting.

I do not think public opinion would allow that person to become queen.

morddwyd 08:38 20 Nov 10

It will have nothing to do with the public.

Like the abdication, it will be the government of the day who will decide.

n47. 08:49 20 Nov 10

public opinion will influence the government, if they want to stay in power or be voted out and a bunch of republicans voted in.

The bloke's a #erk and she's no better. He thinks that the public loves him and he can do anything he wishes to.

The coincidence of the announcement of the royal engagement ( hooray ) and him slipping in the possibility of future queen gonzilla through the back door, at around about the same time.

birdface 08:58 20 Nov 10

Directly or indirectly she was the cause of the death of Princess Diana.
Now you cannot have her sitting on the Throne beside Charles when the person that should be sitting there has died because of an affair between her and Charles.
I am one of the few who think that the Monarchy do a very good job but surely they could not allow this to happen.
I think the monarchy would become a bit of a laughing stock through the rest of the world and as much as I like Charles I think he should pack his bags and move to France if he is even thinking about it.

WhiteTruckMan 09:07 20 Nov 10

"...standards of the time were totally different"

Ah yes, standards. w
Where would we be without them?

Probably right where we are today!

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:18 20 Nov 10

It matters not whether Camilla, Slack Alice or Marge Simpson becomes Queenie...it will only matter in people's minds (especially the servile ones who tug their forelocks when 'royalty' are around) and they will have no say in the matter whatsoever. It is unlikely either Marge or Camilla will get us out of the economic mess we are in. The world has moved on since the fourteenth century.

G

sunnystaines 09:28 20 Nov 10

charles should step aside, he is not popular with the general public in my view. I think that is why the queen has not retired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…