The future of hard disk storage is perpendicular!

Praxis99 16:07 05 Apr 05

Its seems from this article on the New Scientist website click here that we can all look forward to an immense increase in hard drive storage capacity, which will have particular benefit for small hand held devices containing mini hard drives, mp3 players and the like.

And unlike many PC technologies which are just muted devices using "perpendicular recording" technology should be appearing before the year is out. It'll be interesting to see if the promise pans out for real on the ground and what price premium will be incurred by early adopters how buy into it.

mole44 20:20 05 Apr 05

just in time for windows *******,on 5 dvd`s taking up 450gigs of drive space,lol.old adage if theres more space then programs expand to fill it.

DieSse 22:39 05 Apr 05

I first knew about this when I was in the magetic drive indistry, working for a manufacturer, in the '70s. rves were "just around the corner" then too.

Perhaps they finally managed to make it work .... then again ...........

DieSse 22:40 05 Apr 05

I see my spolling is about ag gud as yaws ;-))

Buchan 35 23:14 05 Apr 05

I was once told to think sideways, now they`re
changing the plot. I`m too old to turn cartwheels.

Praxis99 23:34 05 Apr 05

Like many things the concept for this type of drive seems to have been around for some time, perhaps now with the explosion in data storage requirements this is an idea whose time has come or conversely its a product extension strategy on the part of the hard disk industry which clearly has been looking for a new(ish) consumer fix.

Nevertheless if it delivers on its promise I think all us data hoarders will be very happy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…