Fukushima Radioactive Traces Found In Glasgow

Uboat 12:48 29 Mar 11

I wonder just how far widespread it has gone?

click here

Quickbeam 12:51 29 Mar 11

The thing about radioactivity is that there's nowhere to hide, not unless we all flock to the secret underground bunkers which are all quite well signposted for us to find easily.

spider9 13:07 29 Mar 11

Best not move to Aberdeen then, they've had radioactivity from all the granite since the granite was formed!
And I've not noticed any particular deformities among the population (apart from becoming invisible on 'flag' days, that is!!).

carver 13:32 29 Mar 11

The radiation levels they are recording are of radioactive iodine and that has a life of about 8 days, the levels are so low you would have to be subjected to them for a year before any harm was done to you.

But if you are still bothered you can always try this click here for the iphone.

bremner 13:34 29 Mar 11

From an official source click here

Quickbeam 13:37 29 Mar 11

i'odine app, how apt.

Forum Editor 13:38 29 Mar 11

Small traces of radioactive iodine 131 have been detected all over the world since the event.

The detected levels are extremely low, and unlikely to pose a health risk to humans.

interzone55 14:15 29 Mar 11

I suppose this does demonstrate how the air moves round the world.

I'm fairly sure that the deep fried food will kill most weegies before the iodine does...

Uboat 14:21 29 Mar 11

New just in "Japan on maximum alert"...i wonder if its been this bad for weeks & they have just known about it? then it would of affected into millions rather then the predicted tens of thousands?

click here

Forum Editor 15:50 29 Mar 11

many tons of water have been poured onto the fuel rods to cool them down. The water that comes out of the reactors is badly contaminated, and it has to go somewhere. It has found its way into tunnels under the plant, and is now in the ground - something that has been feared since this crisis first started.

The very real problem facing engineers right now is that the cooling system needs to be restarted. Things would suddenly look a lot better if that was done successfully, but nobody can get near enough to do it, so more water has to be dumped over the reactors. It's a cycle that must be broken, but it's looking increasingly certain that the only way it can be done is if people deliberately expose themselves to high levels of radiation.

It's a grim situation.

Aitchbee 16:06 29 Mar 11

what can we do about it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…