Fuel Protests

laurie53 18:53 01 Jun 08

Lorry drivers have staged a go-slow protest on the A30 in the West Country.

click here

Now I'm only a simple soul so could someone please enlighten me as to how inconveniencing thousands of homeward bound holidaymakers, facing a long journey home and then getting the kids ready for a return to school, and themselves for a return to work, is going to influence the Government, or anyone else in Whitehall?

Why didn't they stage their protest in Parliament Square? (and don't tell me about the lorries in London last week, they never went near anywhere remotely connected with the seat of government.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 01 Jun 08

Would have been better to park a lorry (with an empty tank) across Gordon's drive.

:0)

normskinner 19:14 01 Jun 08

Or send a message to Gordon click here

csqwared 19:15 01 Jun 08

Unfortunately, it's ever the same. When has any kind of industrial action in this country done anything else except inconvenience the general public, except for, perhaps the miners strike which did need government intervention. Fruit Bat /\0/\ is right, it requires the powers that be to be put to severe inconvenience but that will never happen because the long arm of the law will step in.

Forum Editor 19:16 01 Jun 08

in Parliament Square?"

Because it wouldn't be allowed.

I suppose that if you feel very strongly about something affecting your means to earn a living you are unlikely to put the feelings of others first, and if a few thousand motorists have to queue for ages behind you, so be it - it's what gets your protest onto the evening news.

From what the organisers are saying it sounds as if their action was largely supported by the inconvenienced motorists anyway, although I'm not so sure that today's effort will have sent a "short, sharp message" to the government.

csqwared 19:18 01 Jun 08

No point in sending messages to people that refuse to listen, I would have thought the recent by-election results would have given the hint but there seems to be a persistence with the "global trends" argument.

Woolwell 19:24 01 Jun 08

I see that one of the organisers is an animal feed distributor. I think that this article click here
explains some of the problems for the rural community rather well.

peter99co 20:30 01 Jun 08

I thought Darling was giving us good advice on how to have our loft insulated and other sensible ways of saving energy. Do you think he is listening to the same message as Gordon?

al's left peg 20:47 01 Jun 08

The government seem to constantly tell us that these prices are high to save the world/environment. It might just be me but, I don't think the drivers of this country paying higher prices are going to save the world.

newman35 21:24 01 Jun 08

Why are they so special?
They have had 'years of plenty' with the economy being good, so why should the rest of us bail them out when times are not?
Both these industries have the ability to pass on their increased costs - and they will. The usual garbage uttered is to say "Oh we can't charge our customers any more". If you offer to do a job you quote a rate and the customer HAS to pay it (presumably all other hauliers will be putting up their prices as well?).
Any ordinary motorist could say similar, "I cannot afford to go to work" etc. - but will their employer give them more to pay their petrol costs? Dream on!
The difference is the hauliers have their customers over a barrel, where else can they go to get goods shifted?
So I still don't see why THEY are the only one's needing 25p off a litre.

newman35 21:27 01 Jun 08

And I'm not sure, is it just 'hauliers' or would the 25p off be for ALL commercial vehicles?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…