Fuel prices

VNAM75 12:27 12 Apr 08

I'm surprised that the continuing rise in petrol and diesel prices has not been in the news or raised a debate here. I know oil prices fluctuate, and most of the production/sources is in the middle east where there is political instability. But I've noticed that prices are going up by 1p every 5 -7 days. Usually if there is a crisis, politically or economically, prices would rise by 2-3p as a one off.

I can't help think that the petrol retailers are taking advantage of the fact that the general public are "expecting" prices (or used to them rising) to rise so they're doing it subtly so it's not noticed much. Or maybe its the oil producers/refiners that are raising their prices subtly to the retailers. Only today the local tesco raised diesel (again) to 116.9p per litre.

I know when it gets to summer I will be using my bike a lot more for those local journeys. I've read somewhere that prices could reach £1.50 per litre by the end of this year.

Bingalau 12:29 12 Apr 08

Maybe we should just stop using our cars for a few weeks?

Stuartli 12:41 12 Apr 08

If this is to be believed, and there are doubts, it could be even worse..:-)

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:51 12 Apr 08

That "B&Q windmill" is looking more and more attractive.

tullie 15:11 12 Apr 08

Lets face it,out of every fiver we spend,our wonderfull government get four.

johndrew 15:21 12 Apr 08

The only saving grace at the moment is the strength of the £UK against the $US. Given it is around $2 to the £ just think what prices will be when/if it reverts to the more usual $1.7. Unless of course someone is already using the more usual exchange rate and making a pile!!

I also noticed recently that for a few days oil prices dropped back to less than $100 a barrel; I don`t suppose anyone with our best interests at heart bought a load at that price to save us a few bob!?

spuds 16:50 12 Apr 08

Looking at the various pump prices around my neck of the woods, it would seem as though there is a competition of price raising.

At present, between Asda, Sainsburys, local independent and Tesco, the highest price is at Tesco, but that price is reduced if you purchase over a certain amount of goods in the supermarket.

One thing that I have noticed, is the increase of combined agency road stop checks on diesel vehicles, and the colour of the fuel that is being used.

techie4me 17:13 12 Apr 08

The demand for fuel is going up whilst production is not being increased, hence the cost is going up. OPEC & the Goverment get more for a barrel of oil & more in tax.

Only yesterday Brent Crude was up to over $108 a barrel.
For more info click here

laurie53 21:11 12 Apr 08

"the strength of the £UK against the $US."

But very weak against the euro, which is where our destiny lies

johndrew 09:56 13 Apr 08

`But very weak against the euro, which is where our destiny lies`

This could cause another discussion :-)

Quickbeam 10:02 13 Apr 08

"One thing that I have noticed, is the increase of combined agency road stop checks on diesel vehicles, and the colour of the fuel that is being used."

They also smell it in Grimsby to see if it smells of chips:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…