Fuel duty should be replaced, says IFS?

Autoschediastic 00:21 14 Sep 11

Well well well now wouldnt that be a step in the right direction for the goverment?

All the struggling haulage companies would love this move and the price of groceries would or should come down...it would really help everyone in the uk in some way..

But would the goverment listen and would it be in my lifetime?

Story Here

WhiteTruckMan 00:33 14 Sep 11

I was telling people at the last election that if you put the price of diesel up you put the price of everything up. It really is that simple. but few people listned, and I take no satisfaction from the number of times I hear people say that things are so expensive these days (usually I hear it from the elderly, but increasingly from others).

I also had a not too expensive plan (in relative terms) to do something about it. The tories sniffed at it a bit and said it was interesting enough to pass on up, but nothing ever became of it.

But thats life in the big city for you...

WTM

Autoschediastic 01:24 14 Sep 11

WTM i remember when u stated this on the forum, i knew your point was totally valid and been a person on the road you would benefit from this in a huge way, question is would the goverment listen and how long after IF this went ahead would they start the price climb....

Kevscar1 05:35 14 Sep 11

report also says one suggestion would make 200,000 more people available for work. Funny unless I have lost the plot we don't have enough jobs to go round as it is. That ome suggestion proves the writers of the report have no idea what the real world is like and removes any credibity from it.

morddwyd 08:01 14 Sep 11

"if you put the price of diesel up you put the price of everything up. It really is that simple."

Exactly, it really is that simple - it's a universal tax which everybody pays.

Seems a reasonable proposition to me, but I realise that there are opposing views strongly in favour of differential tax rates.

WhiteTruckMan 08:05 14 Sep 11

Autoshediastic- I'd just like to point out that as a driver the personal benefit I would get from my proposal would be minimal to nonexistant, except that I would benefit from the same price reductions as everyone else.

WTM

badgery 08:32 14 Sep 11

Why do many people, here, get obsessed with only fuel prices? There are lots of other proposals to increase our taxes in there - VAT, housing etc. But all we seem to care about is fuel.

Quickbeam 08:39 14 Sep 11

I'd like to see all taxes replace by one single VAT tax, the rate would be high, very high, as it would have to represent the total tax take that we presently pay with the multitude of taxes that we have, but don't obviously see.

The advantage is that tax take would be collected according to your spending power, if you have £10,000 or £100,000 of spending power per year the tax would be collected via the spending power in your pocket.

The only way to dodge tax would to be a skinflint miser. All the tax evaders, from fly-by-night travellers to high flying city types would pay as soon as they bought a new caravan or swimming pool/gym wing with the fruits of their labours.

It's all quite simples really...

anskyber 08:57 14 Sep 11

I'd like to see all taxes replace by one single VAT tax

That would be terrifying.

One point of a range of taxes is to provide the opportunity to governments to add a social dimension to the taxation system. High VAT rates and low income tax rates favour the better off. Put more simply and exaggerated to exemplify, it would be madness for a pensioner to meet huge VAT bills and tax them out of food, fuel and the like.

birdface 08:58 14 Sep 11

WhiteTruckMan

Or would you pay more.

As I see it those that use the roads more will pay more so I cannot see how it would benefit haulage contractors.

So the way I look at it the price of food etc would go up even higher.

A step in the right direction for the Government.

Yes it will make revenue from all of the foreign transport that uses our roads.

Will it help the public.Probably not unless you stay off motorways.

And if that happens it will lead to more congestion on normal roads.

If it costs £1.30 a litre in garages that is what the haulage industry pays as they get the VAT back, Normal motorists have to pay the VAT on top of the £1.30.

Whatever benefits the government make it is us that have to pay and will probably be worse off because of it.

WhiteTruckMan 09:57 14 Sep 11

I'm a bit rushed for time right now, but the basic premis of my position is that if you bought it then a truck brought it. The cost of transportation impacts every facet of our lives, and if you can find a way to reduce that cost then the knock on effect will also affect everyone to a greater or lesser degree. Hence my proposal to permit goods vehicles with an operators licence to use 'red' rebated fuel.

There's more, but gotta run.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5