Freeview Problems

ulrich 17:46 11 Oct 10

Did you have problems last night? Picture breaking up or no signal. Seems to have been all over England and caused by the weather. This I heard on Radio Cambridge. Another great technology?

Quickbeam 18:01 11 Oct 10

I've had that problem too in South Yorks with the weaker stations and also on DAB radio.

ulrich 18:33 11 Oct 10

I never had a problem with analogue. Satelite when it was cloudy or raining.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:35 11 Oct 10

Some people are never satisfied.
If you get good weather in this country you should be out enjoying it while it lasts, not be indoors watching the TV.

:0)

Quickbeam 18:50 11 Oct 10

I once had a problem with the cable reception when the gas board dug through the fibre optic!

spuds 19:12 11 Oct 10

And there was me kicking the freeview box, thinking that it had gone on the blink and ready for a replacement ;o)

morddwyd 19:58 11 Oct 10

Used to be an annual problem in Cornwall.

Once the "Azores High" was established continental interference made some channels, all analogue then, virtually unwatchable.

ulrich 09:12 12 Oct 10

If you read before you put your foot in it I did say last night, in Hertfordshire it is dark at night at this time of year.

skeletal 11:21 12 Oct 10

There are a number of things that can affect TV and radio reception. I expect that the current problems being described are due to tropospheric inversion. This is where the normal temperature distribution in the troposphere is inverted causing a change in the refractive index, which in turn causes electromagnetic radiation (i.e. radio waves) to “bend”. This in turn means that some waves that would have normally disappeared in to space come back to earth and interfere with locally generated signals. This link:

click here

saves me hours of rambling on!

This will affect all signals to a greater or lesser extent.

If you watch analogue TV, you will occasionally see a “ghost” image which gets more noticeable as the condition worsens. As humans, we are very good at filtering out extraneous signals and we “lock” on to the image we want (although, obviously, if the effect gets bad, we will whinge about the bad picture).

Digital tellys are a bit different. They will also pick up the interfering signal, but their electronics does the filtering for us. So the picture will still look perfect even though there is a ghost/interfering image present. But, as the strength of the interference grows, the electronics will suddenly not be able to cope. This will then mean a block of data will be lost and an area of picture will pixelate. The stronger the interference the more pixilation until you end up with a few lost frames and the warning “Bad signal”.

Confusingly, therefore, for a digital telly, not only do you need a signal strong enough to detect, you also need good “quality”. It is possible to have two strong signals together that will lose you the picture, but one weak one which will be fine.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…