Freemasons

Brumas 23:15 04 May 07

On a recent visit to Beamish Open Air Museum (if you haven’t already visited this place make a point of doing so – it’s fabulous) we were pleased to see that the Masonic temple was finally completed and we were able to see it in all its glory. On our last visit it was just literally a pile of bricks. The interior was so striking, almost cathedral like, and the artefacts and information on display so incredible – all brought to life by the knowledgeable period-dressed guide.

I daresay the average man knows absolutely nothing sensible about freemasonry – and I am an average man- but it really didn’t tell me anything than I couldn’t find out from say Google or Britannica.

Back in those early days when I owned my own shop my rather successful brother-in-law (apparently very, very high up in freemasonry) asked me if I had thought about becoming a freemason. He outlined all the good things that would come my way and could see no problems in me joining the ranks, so to speak. I declined as I wasn’t one much for social intercourse, I hadn’t a lot of disposable cash and I was newly wed and preferred spending my nights in the marital home as opposed to spending them in an all-male company of well off businessmen.
I also told him that I didn’t fancy the idea of a secret society whereupon he corrected me saying it was more a society of secrets, but wouldn’t be drawn beyond that – nevertheless I declined and it was never mentioned again.

I don’t regret not becoming a freemason, however as I think of all the good unseen charity work they do, I feel in some small way I could have played a small part – oh well “ Que Sera Sera”

Any observations?

johndrew 10:07 05 May 07

I think it unlikely you will get much from any practicing masons here; whether any that have ceased will post is up to them.

My father was a mason and kept it much to himself, but I have worked with a number who were still practicing and the little snippets dropped by them have never caused me to want to join. Now, of course, I am retired as well which drives it all further from my wish list!!

Brumas 10:24 05 May 07

I daresay you are right. Having said that, I wasn't after their innermost secrets and practices, more a general confirmation of all the good unseen work they are purported to do.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:34 05 May 07

My father was a Past Grand Master and yes, they do a lot of charity work but they never ask for or take any credit. The 'secret' ceremionies are there just to make the mebers feel a greater part of the group, jsut like the societies that I was in at school, where we had passwords etc. It is also a 'Gentlemans' Club' and I can assure you that if you are in business and are in the Masons, you would find many advantages, just like any club.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:35 05 May 07

ps...their 'innermost secrets and practices' are available for all to see if you spend a little time with Google. They are merely there to reinforce the sense of belonging.

G

Forum Editor 10:40 05 May 07

is that they may do work for charity, but primarily their function is to help one another in business, and promote the idea of masons being in some way 'special'.

I don't see any need for schoolboy-type secrecy in a modern world, and find the whole freemasonry think a tad sad.

p;3 11:04 05 May 07

one of the problems with Freemasonry is the basic tenant of 'a belief in a supreme being'; each member has to declare their beleif in that so they would argue that they all beleive in God; problem is that 'a supreme being ' CAN be yourself

you are best staying OUT of it; I know people IN it , beleive you me ::((

I have done fairly extensive research about it and NOTHING I found made me thrilled about it but, on the contrary EXTREMELY wary of it

Kate B 11:09 05 May 07

*raises eyebrows* There's a whole other meaning to "gentlemen's clubs" ... perhaps there was more to your father than you thought, Gandalf ;-)

Brumas 12:36 05 May 07

All this is very interesting and certainly 'eye-opening'. I really do NOT harbour any latent desire to become a member, I am just really interested in other people's perception of this rather hush-hush organisation and, as I said earlier, their benevolence.

p;3 12:43 05 May 07

it is not a club/society/ whatever that you can ask to join; you have to be invited ; I know; I have been through that 'experience'; I have alsso read a book by a now Non- mason who desribes what happened to him when he left;it is very disturbing and worrying reading ;once IN they do NOT want you to leave

Brumas 12:46 05 May 07

It all sounds very sinister, a comparison to the Mafia springs to mind!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple