Free security software for commercial use?

jz 14:02 22 Jan 05

Forum Editor said in another thread...

"All of our security software is proprietory freeware, the kind of stuff that anyone can have for absolutely nothing, and it works."

I know that you can get free software for personal or not-for-profit use, but can you for commercial use (which I guess FE was using it for)?

Diodorus Siculus 19:15 22 Jan 05

Spy-bot is one that can be used freely, even by commercial institutions.

Belatucadrus 12:30 23 Jan 05

These security products are either OpenSource or don't appear to have commercial limitations on the Free license

click here Clam Anti Virus.

click here Softperfect firewall.

click here Filesclab firewall.

I can't comment on the abilities of these packages, and considering the potential financial penalties from FACT, should they not be free for commercial use. Would recommend checking with the developers before using any of them.

Other useful free packages for business are :- click here OpenOffice, click here TurboCASH, click here Handyquote, click here Powerbullet and click here Wink.

Forum Editor 13:08 23 Jan 05

we arew indeed using the software in a commercial environment, but we use the Pro versions of ZoneAlarm and AVG - and of course you have to pay for these. When I said "the kind of stuff that anyone can have for nothing" I was right, you can get both of these excellent products for nothing, but of course only home users can use the free versions, which work just as well.

Sorry for muddying the waters.

Dennis Goycoolea 21:23 24 Jan 05

Funny how our brains work. You said "Free security software for commercial use?" and I rearranged it into "Free Software security for commercial use", immediately thinking of nmap, netcat, crack, ethereal...

If you're interested in such a thing (and I don't see why you wouldn't be) the 'nmap Top 75 Security Tools' list is great: click here

Dennis

jz 23:37 27 Jan 05

ok, thanks for the links everyone, and for the clarification FE. Oh and sorry for the late reply and tick (been busy).

Belatucadrus 21:03 30 Jan 05

click here is a better link for clam for windows. But do note this quote

"Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner, that is, you need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus. Microsoft Outlook Addin and POP3 Proxy (coming soon), however will delete a virus-infected attachment automatically."

So very much a work in progress rather than the finished item. But an interesting project none the less.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…