A free fall record this guy wishes further

TopCat® 13:58 05 Jan 08

A really incredible story - click here - tells of the survival of a New York window cleaner that fell around 500ft, or 47 storeys, and survived with multiple injuries. After several operations he is now talking and it's envisaged he will be able to walk again. His younger brother also fell but alas was killed instantly.

How anyone could survive such a fall is quite astonishing. TC.

sunny staines 14:08 05 Jan 08

he bounced among the scaffolding as he fell breaking his fall, still lucky to live though.

Kemistri 14:32 05 Jan 08

In a way, that makes it even more remarkable - there were more chances of a critical blow to the head before he even met the ground.

Does nothing to change my feeling about heights....

Forum Editor 15:23 05 Jan 08

Or mine.

I'm quite happy being in a 747 at 35,000 feet, but once I was invited to visit a client's new office building that was under construction in Hong Kong. They use bamboo scaffolding on these buildings, because of its ability to flex in a typhoon, and I was taken up to the twenty third floor to see the view. There were no perimeter walls - just a floor slab - and my client and I were invited to walk to the edge. The scaffolding was moving gently, and the foreman said 'walk out onto it, you'll get a spectacular view'. I just couldn't do it.

A dumper truck driver was blithely going backwards and forwards about a metre from the edge, but I couldn't wait to get back down to ground level.

Kemistri 15:37 05 Jan 08

In that situation, I think my stomach would be way ahead of me!

Chegs ®™ 17:01 05 Jan 08

I had no fear of heights when younger and often would amuse myself climbing up things to jump off.These days though,I get very very unsteady when faced with just a few feet that I might fall.I also recall my disbelief when told that in asia they use bamboo which can flex,but have since watched several TV programs about the use of this material for scaffold.

To fall 500ft though & survive is incredible.

Diemmess 17:44 05 Jan 08

Like several postings, I just hate being at an edge only a few feet above ground, but love looking down from an aircraft when the nearer the ground the better.

Way back in '63? I was able to go with a party to the tower on the Welsh end of the old Severn Bridge
The builders were still cable spinning and there was a catwalk down to the centre. It had four or five slim cables including one each for a hand rail, weldmesh to walk on and at the sides to about waist height.
400' below was the incomplete roadway and the river.

All six of us gulped and though one said No and went back down the lift the rest of us took the once in a lifetime walk down.

I can remember thinking that if I tripped I would only scratch myself on the raw mesh so just did what we came for - to look and take pictures. It was very very impressive.

Forum Editor 17:59 05 Jan 08

you can take a walk on the new Grand Canyon Skywalk, which involves walking onto a horseshoe-shaped, glass-bottomed platform that projects 70 feet out over the edge of the Canyon.

There's a 4000 foot drop beneath you and the other 119 maniacs who are out there with you at any one moment. You have to wear special soft shoes so you don't scratch the glass.

According to my wife I'll be out on it later this year.

click here

TopCat® 18:37 05 Jan 08

Fancy being be the first to try a bungee-jump from it then, Peter? It's near enough horseshoe shaped, so your luck should hold out! :o) TC.

VoG II 19:06 05 Jan 08

Like Chegs ®™ I was pretty fearless as a child where heights were concerned but not any more. My balance isn't what it used to be (compounded by badly breaking my ankle last year - after being in plaster for several weeks one has to learn to walk again, plus the ankle is important in balancing...). Anyway, I digress.

Having been to Las Vegas a few times I've been tempted to take a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon but I've been put off by the price. Like the FE I have no fear of heights when in an aircraft. But there is no way that I would go near the Grand Canyon on foot - see for example
click here

Brumas 21:25 05 Jan 08

A while ago, to celebrate our 25th anniversary, we visited friends in Canada and one of the many highlights was a helicopter trip over Niagara Falls. To say it was ‘awesome’ would be an understatement however we weren’t afraid because we were too busy constantly looking all around us.

I was more afraid/alarmed when, in the early 60’s when the bank on the Canadian side was less developed, I stood at a point and took in the view. Looking to my right the vast volume of water seemed to hurtle straight for me, looking to my left it just thundered over the edge to the unseen river bed below – now that did scare me, the noise and spray and the feeling that I was only feet away from all that destructive power!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now