Free Calender delivered by the Bill

birdface 13:00 17 Dec 10

Very unusual sight this morning 3 policewomen delivering free Community Calenders on our estate.
Now trying to work it out there are about 60.000 people reside in this town so not sure how many houses that would cover.
But enough to say that they would need other officers and cars to deliver to the other estates in the town.
You would have thought that they could have hired some other company to make the deliveries.
Not complaining mind you as the calender will come in useful but they were not what you would call small they were about 16"x12".
Price,Who knows.
But they did give some useful telephone numbers and addresses in case you had to contact anyone.
I suppose another no win situation for them, Trying to get them all delivered before the New Year and me probably thinking is it not just a waste of time and money.
Something tells me I should applaud them for their efforts and another tells me most will think it is a waste of time.
I know that I will use their calender but hate to think how many will go straight into the bin.

Quickbeam 14:01 17 Dec 10

I'll bet it's very PC compared to a Pirelli calender.

lucky1 16:56 17 Dec 10

Nice one Quickbeam! Would have said 'WPC' but we're not allowed to call them that anymore!

Quiller. 18:55 17 Dec 10

council cutbacks
=
less money to policing

bobbies give out free calenders
=
bobbies seen on the streets
interacting with the public
ain't the police wonderfull caring for us.

conclusion
public outcry if their budget is cut.

lotvic 19:12 17 Dec 10

Eyes and Ears and all that, very useful excuse to give each house the onceover?

ton 20:07 17 Dec 10

"Eyes and Ears and all that, very useful excuse to give each house the onceover"

Paranoid??

spuds 11:03 18 Dec 10

These initiatives are usually based on zones of higher crime, public concern or specific funding arrangements, so in reality, very few people will actually receive a calender.

Our local police force have these type of schemes on occasions, but in all reality they are more of a PR exercise than crime reduction.

Perhaps like the 'High Profile Policing' initiatives, when you might see a large force of yellow coated police officer in one area for a few days, usually walking around in two's. At least the public can give a sigh of relieve, because the villains go on holiday or move to another district, until the initiative is over ;o)

birdface 14:42 18 Dec 10

I must admit it was a pleasant surprise as I have only had speeding tickets and warnings on my driving ability in the past from them.
It was nice to get something back from them that did not cost me anything.

spuds 15:10 18 Dec 10

But it did cost you, plus other people beside. These events are usually funded from police funding (which you pay for), local area funding provided by councils or other authorities (which you pay for) or sponsorship (which you have possibly paid for).

The gesture is nice, but the cost is not free. Plus do not forget the administration and distribution, and police officers doing the work of hand posting.

I had a word once with our local police about this type of role call, and suggested that schools might play a part in distribution of crime prevention literature etc, so perhaps making them future responsible citizens. I was quickly informed that Health & Safety was a risk factor, that the police would not be allowed to undertake?.

Not having a go at you, but just pointing out the facts behind these initiatives.

birdface 17:53 18 Dec 10

Yes I understand that but think think this is more than likely to be a one off.
No chance of it happening again within the next 5 years.
So lets make the most of it while we can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now