Forum Names

morddwyd 09:26 07 Dec 14

Like many I'm a member of more than one forum, and the moderator of one of those forums has revealed the forum name I use on his forum in a post to another forum.

I not a little upset by this. I might not be illegal (though it is surely data, of which he is a "controller"?), but it is surely wrong?

At the very least it is unprofessional.

I'd be interested in some views, particularly the FE's, as a professional.

We use forum names for our own reasons and those reasons should be respected.

Needless to say I will no longer use the offending forum.

Forum Editor 09:49 07 Dec 14

Disclosure of data is only illegal if it can be used to identify an individual. In the case of a forum username, it usually does not identify an individual - it's simply a word or words which enable other forum users to recognise who is posting contributions.

The site owner/operator can identify a real person from it, but nobody else can. I could post your username on a dozen different forums, but nobody would have a clue who you really were, unless I disclosed something else - an email address, for instance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 07 Dec 14

If you remember back to last year before the mag was altered there was a section where some posts and Usernames were printed regarding certain subjects. No one seemed to mind then.

lotvic 12:24 07 Dec 14

I 'reveal' (post) someone's forum name and link to their post on different forum when I'm quoting their helpful advice in pca helproom. Thought it was okay to do this?

spuds 12:45 07 Dec 14

"Needless to say I will no longer use the offending forum."

Seeing and hearing some of the 'going-ons' on some forums, I would suspect that people join for that reason, while others might steer well clear.

Perhaps more a way of life nowadays, and how people look at things!.

Personally, if my username was used, then I would not care less, unless the use of my username led direct personally to me, by someone giving out what I would regards as confidential information.

Batch 15:49 07 Dec 14

By using a forum name (on a forum) you are putting that name in the public domain. So no data protection issues are involved. Really don't see that you have any cause for complaint.

AroundAgain 16:05 07 Dec 14

Hi

I can see a slightly different slant on morddwyd's complaint regarding a moderator writing in a post that 'nipps' in Forum A and 'pipps' in Forum D is actually one and the same person.

I can see how, consequently, anything that 'nipps' says re opinions/advice/personal ideas etc can then be linked with 'pipps' in the other forum. As a result, someone on the said forums may be able to identify the actual person.

So, although the actual personal identity is not compromised, the forum identity could be compromised and it's that which I suspect morddwyd is considering. Even if the personal identity can't be made, knowing that nipps and pipps are the same person, could cause issues in one or other forum.

Having said that, why do you all use a different alias on different forums? Unless you use the same alias, I suspect you are wanting to keep any link to the same alias in any other forum!

So, my opinion is that the moderator was wrong to reveal the connection between alias of different forums. Morddwyd, I suggest you make your feelings known to the moderator

bumpkin 17:05 07 Dec 14

This has happened to me, not that it bothers me in the least but morddwyd has a valid point which I agree with.

* and the moderator of one of those forums has revealed the forum name I use on his forum in a post to another forum.*

To be able to do that he must have got the information from somewhere.

Batch 17:57 07 Dec 14

From morddwyd's posting it is not clear whether he is actually a member of the "another forum" (hereinafter forum B).

My reading of it is that he is NOT a member of forum B, in which case there is no link to be made between his forum names on forums A & B as he would not have an identity on forum B.

If he is a member of forum B, I'm not seeing how the moderator of forum A has the connection (to post on forum B) without someone (morddwyd?) having revealed the connection to the moderator first.

morddwyd 19:09 07 Dec 14

I have absolutely no objection to any member, of any forum, revealing my forum name in any other forum if they know I am posting under a different name. I am sure we can all identify a few such people ourselves. As some of you know, Morddwyd is my given name and I think is perhaps sufficiently unusual to clearly identify me!

What I object to is the fact that it it is the moderator, using his knowledge of the personal details which I had to provide to join the forum, who has identified me on another forum.

I think this is unprofessional.

As far as reasons go, as I said we all have our own. It could be that my wife posts to one forum and my mistress to another1

bumpkin 21:04 07 Dec 14

"What I object to is the fact that it it is the moderator, using his knowledge of the personal details which I had to provide to join the forum, who has identified me on another forum."

That I think is the whole point of your posting, you provided the information presumably on the basis of being for registration purposes. It is very unprofessional for it to be used in any other way. A word of wisdom, if you wish to have a Mistress call yourself John:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…