Forum Idea

Bob The Nob© 16:33 23 Oct 06

FE could you make it we can see how many users there are online? and can we see who put the lastpost on each thread without clicking it?

Just some ideas

Bob The Nob©

hijo 22:02 23 Oct 06

"here here" sounds like a rather good idea, but will "FE" go for it...?? i'll hold my breathe..

WhiteTruckMan 22:06 23 Oct 06

is a misleading figure, what with people logging on and then leaving the page open while they go away from the computer. The spread of always on broadband means that such figures have little or no meaning these days.

WTM

Totally-braindead 22:07 23 Oct 06

Did we not have this before a few years ago?

hijo 22:22 23 Oct 06

"dunno" if ya did have it a while ago i was to busy living in barcelona..:-)

Forum Editor 22:29 23 Oct 06

Has the answer - there's little point in displaying the number of people logged in at any one time because lots of you stay logged in all day (and sometimes all night, too). The figure would be meaningless.

As for displaying the name of the last person to post - what's the point? I fail to see why you would need to know that.

Kate B 00:16 24 Oct 06

Oh, I think it's interesting to see who the last poster is on a thread - you can guarantee that some people will have something interesting to say; others may be up for a rant - on other forums it helps me gauge whether or not I'm going to catch up with a thread. It would also be nice to be able to go directly to the last post in a thread that you read.

Bob The Nob© 01:04 24 Oct 06

spot on Kate, you can tell if its worth reading or not. just means you could save a couple of seconds which do mount up if you save 4 seconds on the page load and 4 seconds hitting the back button which means you've saved 8 secs, mount it up over ten posts and you've saved over a minute. a minute in which you could have spent helping someone else.

I just thought that knowing the approximate number of users logged in is interesting. You could then target a post at a more appropriate time when more users are on.

Bob The Nob©

P.S.
I don't sleep.

Bob The Nob© 01:08 24 Oct 06

Just something thats popped in my mind. I assume that monitoring this bored is hard work, if its just you, have you thought of making long-term members you trust as a moderator? someone who can lock topics and delete topics or is the set-up you've got working?

Bob The Nob©

Chris the Ancient 11:20 24 Oct 06

I see where you're coming from with the last idea.

However, I have seen forums (fori?) with multiple moderators and they tend to get a bit heated.

I trust FE, implicitly, and I find it interesting to go back and look to see if a post *was* deleted. And it usually is.

GaT7 17:02 24 Oct 06

In similar posts I've requested for the Search facility to have an option to give datewise results - any feedback on this FE? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos