Football Thread

laurie53 20:23 14 Jul 09

Rangers and Celtic are talking about a combined bid for Scottish TV rights.

click here

I'm not a football fan so don't know how feasible it is, general opinion seems to be it won't happen, but to me it seems an interesting concept.

norman47 22:16 14 Jul 09

"The Glasgow clubs are unhappy at the deal offered by Sky and ESPN, thought to be worth £65m over five years"

and so they should. Thats terrible compared to the English premiership.

"It has been reported that the Old Firm believe the rights are worth £25m over two years. "

Thats a step in the right direction.

"The SPL decided to seek new partners after the Irish broadcaster reneged on the final payment of £3m which was due to the league for broadcasting live games last season. "

They would be better off if they conclueded a deal with the MSP's. Put a tuppence tax on deep fried mars bars and screen the SPL for free.

That would clear £25M in a weekend.

Stuartli 23:26 14 Jul 09

Absolutely no comparison. The Scottish Premier League is simply not, to put it bluntly, in the same league.

Re the TV deal, my calculations reveal that £65m over five years is £13m annually, whereas £25m over two years is.....

I'm sure you can work it out for yourselves...:-)

laurie53 19:44 15 Jul 09

I think I didn't make my thread clear.

I was not commenting on the money, or the relative merits of English and Scottish football, but the concept of the participants - clubs, teams call them what you will - providing the TV coverage themselves, whether it be football, Formula One, Test cricket or what.

I know it happens in the States, but would it work here?

I still think it's an interesting concept!

Stuartli 19:57 15 Jul 09

Many English clubs already have video coverage for matches hence, for instance, the ITV Championship League programmes - even my own Blue Square North football club is featured in video clips of goals on the town's independent news website.

See, for instance:

click here

dukeboxhero 21:09 15 Jul 09

I believe this has been tried in Holland and hasnt been a success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017