Football (Soccer)

pj123 17:44 03 Mar 08

I don't know very much about football, but there are a few things I don't understand.

If the England Team can't have any foreign players in it how is it that they can have a foreign Manager/Coach?

Are we that bad that we don't have an English person that can be the Manager/Coach of the England Team?

My partner tells me that the current England Team Manager is Italian?

So what happens when/if England play Italy. Whose side is the England Manager on?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:44 03 Mar 08

'Whose side is the England Manager on?'...whoever pays his salary.

G

Forum Editor 17:50 03 Mar 08

The England manager is paid a very considerable sum to manage the National team to victory, and his loyalties will lie with that team regardless. If they don't he'll be out in double-quick time.

"Are we that bad that we don't have an English person that can be the Manager/Coach of the England Team?"

Apparently so, and frankly I don't think it matters one iota what nationality the team manager is.

How can we have a non-English manager? Because the rules say we can.

As I've said, I don't think it matters; what matters is that the team is made up of English players.

Legolas 18:07 03 Mar 08

I agree with the FE, as a Scot I would take any nationality of manager if it brought us success, having said that our one foray into foreign managers namely Bertie Volts was a bit of a disaster.

The manager is of course important but if you don't have the players then it doesn't matter who the manager is success will elude you.

bremner 18:34 03 Mar 08

It is a sad indictment of the English game that currently there is no English manager with the necessary ability and experience to fill the role.

The problem is that realistically only four clubs are likely to win the Premiership, FA Cup or Champions League. None are managed by Englishmen.

Is it likely Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool will appoint an Englishmen in the foreseeable future? - No.

Each will want a manager with a proven record at the highest level (or a man the owner can can bully and manipulate!!!)

At the end of the day if England win the World Cup no one will care if the manager is English, Italian or Martian.

Bingalau 19:03 03 Mar 08

Does that mean that Chelsea; Manchester United; Liverpool and Arsenal will be trying to get their hands on the best manager in the Premier League. He's a foreigner too. He comes from Scotland, manages the best English team of all "Everton", and goes by the name of David Moyes.... Come on you blues!

Legolas 19:06 03 Mar 08

I'm not sure if I am right but do I detect just a hint of 'Everton' bias in your post ;)

Bingalau 19:30 03 Mar 08

Legolas.. You may well be right...

bremner 20:24 03 Mar 08

...and David Moyes has won exactly what? :o)

rossgolf 20:24 03 Mar 08

played footie for the first time in a couple of years since i took up golf
god it hurt lol

Bingalau 20:43 03 Mar 08

bremner. Not a lot but he's only a young lad and is on his way to becoming the very best. Alex Fergusson is shaking in his boots! At the moment David is rated the second best manager in the Premiership.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…