Football Commentaries

realist 20:01 14 Apr 07

I'm not what you'd call an avid football fan, but grandson insists I watch the occasional match on TV.

I do find John Motson's commentaries irritating in the extreme, with his recounting of numerous loosely relevant facts, figures and statistics amongst which one would not be surprised if there was included the colour of the goalie's aunt's living-room curtains.

Is it just me who finds this annoying?

I don't deny he is very knowledgeable about his subject.

Jackcoms 21:19 14 Apr 07

"I don't deny he is very knowledgeable about his subject".

Which subject? Living room curtains?

laurie53 09:46 15 Apr 07

I find this the case with many sports.

I don't watch football, but I never even turn the sound on when watching skiing, because of all the irrelevant comment about who won what in the last Olympics, and who the skier's aunt is etc.

Some commentators feel the need to rabbit on even when there is nothing to say.

It might be a requirement on radio, but not on TV

Laurie

Jim Thing 10:38 15 Apr 07

"I do find John Motson's commentaries irritating in the extreme..."

So do I. But he seems to be regarded as a Much-Loved National Treasure — rather like the infuriating Murray Walker in his day.

Forum Editor 10:53 15 Apr 07

of 'dead air' that leads to the need to fill time with talk. They're scared that we'll all think there's something wrong with the sound, and switch to another station.

John Motson seems to have a status approaching that of a national treasure with football fans, but I can't bear to listen to him.

bremner 11:45 15 Apr 07

Within my group of friends and colleagues who are avid football fans Motson is held in total distain. He should have been pensioned off many years ago.

Martin Tyler is streets ahead of him.

If BBC offer their interactive commentary options I always have the 5Live commentary.

Jak_1 12:04 15 Apr 07

If you go to a live game there is no commentary, non is required! It's a shame there isn't an option on tv of filtering out the commentary just leaving the sounds generated within the stadium.

€dstowe 12:17 15 Apr 07

Why do televised football match programs last upwards of twice as long as the match itself and why does it need so many highly paid "experts" to discuss the proceedings before, during and afterwards.

bremner 12:24 15 Apr 07

That is an option on the BBC interactive.

Forum Editor 13:38 15 Apr 07

Because the programmes attract huge audiences.

€dstowe 14:00 15 Apr 07

FE, unfortunately, the utterances of these pundits amounts (to me anyway) as time filling twaddle but, as there is nobody in the world that knows less about about football than me, it would, wouldn't it.

It is churlish of me to complain, though. Football clubs have brought some very good business for me over the years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017