Font recommendations

jz 21:08 14 Jul 06

Any suggestions for fonts for a printed material? I find that Arial, Times and Verdana, which tend to be used for letters and reports, look a bit unprofessional on a leaflet. I'm not after anything fancy or over ornate, just serif and sans serif fonts that look more professional (or should I say less commonplace). It's not for electronic use, so there's no problem of choosing a font that others have on their PC.

What do graphic designers tend to use?

€dstowe 21:45 14 Jul 06

There's a discussion on fonts just been resurrected here click here

Haol 10:44 15 Jul 06

Best place on the net

click here

Pidder 11:23 15 Jul 06

My favourite for lettering on photos is Bart, doesn't seem to be listed in the above links.

jz 10:12 16 Jul 06

Thanks everyone. The posting that $dstowe pointed me to was very useful. I won't be using Verdana - even it it is very readable, to me it looks like Ladybird book text!

Stuartli 11:27 16 Jul 06

Windows does have a reasonably wide selection and it's easy to add more.

Go to Control Panel, for instance, and click on Fonts.

If you click on a font's icon you will see examples of its appearance and style.

Stuartli 11:29 16 Jul 06

Just discovered that €dstowe makes the same point about Windows fonts in this thread a little further down:

click here

wee eddie 17:15 16 Jul 06

Specially if you are going to be producing many different items over the years.

What I did was to create a couple of pages with large and small text, some in bold and some italics. With my short list of Fonts that I felt had the right image for me. I tried each one in turn.

I ended up with Times New Roman, but each one of us will have a slightly different idea of what lends gravitas to our pronouncements and chose a different one.

I had enjoyed some of the Script style fonts but they turned out to be almost illegible under certain circumstances.

Stuartli 19:46 16 Jul 06

>>Times New Roman>>

Probably used by at least 90 per cent of Windows users in Word...:-)

Woolwell 21:18 16 Jul 06

When preparing printed material try to think of those with visual impairment. I think that you will find that the preferred fonts are Arial, Serif and Verdana. Be careful with colours too.

Stuartli 22:05 16 Jul 06

The one thing to remember is that you need to/should only use two or three fonts as a maximum in leaflets and similar publications.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced