follow Australia post

User-1159794 18:42 15 Jul 07

One quarter of all asylum seekers comming to the UK are suspected terrorists.
But hey are there human rights being protected.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:45 15 Jul 07

'One quarter of all asylum seekers comming to the UK are suspected terrorists.'..and where may one enquire, did you get this statistic from?

G

bremner 19:36 15 Jul 07

9/11 was a CIA plot

Princess Diana was assassinated on the orders of Prince Phillip

and lets not forget the moon is made of blue cheese

sunny staines 19:39 15 Jul 07

my australia post was not that bad was it?

WhiteTruckMan 19:43 15 Jul 07

it was about their cricket team.

WTM

Devil Fish 22:59 15 Jul 07

Rapscallion

you do of course have evidence to back up that quite dramatic claim

Forum Editor 23:25 15 Jul 07

there were 27,395 applications for asylum in this country, and 1940 were granted. Presumably the suspected terrorists were all among the 25,455 that were refused.

Your statement is meaningless.

1. You infer that all asylum seekers are successful, but they are clearly not.

2. You quote a statistic that has no foundation - where did you get your information?

3. You finish on another meaningless note " But hey are there(sic) human rights being protected."

Well yes, perhaps they are, but surely that's as it should be, isn't it? Are you seriously implying that we should deny someone their human rights because he/she is suspected of being a terrorist? Do that, and we would no better than the terrorists themselves.

Stuartli 10:54 16 Jul 07

As the other thread on this subject has been (rightly) closed, I must point out that you completely misconstrued my comment about: "The comparatively small number of people that you allude to are the majority in this thread!"

I wasn't, I would have thought quite clearly, referring to thread posters, but those who perpetrate evil deeds to further their "cause."

Flak999 22:30 16 Jul 07

You state that the other thread has been "rightly" closed! In whose opinion, yours I take it?

There seems little point in having a forum for robust debate called "speakers corner" if every time said debate becomes robust it is subject to the FE censure.

Why bother with it at all? lets all just stick to talking about computers, its much safer isn't It?

As for my misconstruing your comment about: "The comparatively small number of people that you allude to are the majority in this thread!"

I think if you reread the thread, (assuming it is still available to be reread) you will see that that comment is actually my own!

However it does not really matter does it, debate on this subject has been curtailed in the usual manner accorded to all "awkward" subjects.

We had all better get back onto the much less controversial topics like "Beckham" or "the latest subscription freebie" eh!

anskyber 22:42 16 Jul 07

"You state that the other thread has been "rightly" closed! In whose opinion, yours I take it?"

Mine also. I found myself so saddened by the outpouring of narrow minded ill thought out xenophobic comment in the thread I did not even bother to post. The truth is there was no debate of any meaningful substance, what I read seemed like the usual racist chants I've come to expect from some on this site.

We seem to be totally incapable of running a thread on the subject without it turning into a rather nasty form of prejudice which does not become anyone who claims to be proud of our civilised society but is unwilling to behave according to it's values.

Forum Editor 22:44 16 Jul 07

There's a world of difference between robust debate and xenophobic ranting - don't confuse the two.

An awkward subject can be discussed without resorting to the kind of stuff that brings a smirk to the faces of the BNP brigade. If robust, mature debate is what floats your boat by all means engage in it, but leave the sneering comments at home, please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5