Folic Acid

laurie53 07:10 12 May 07

There is a proposal to add folic acid to all bread, by law, in order to prevent approximately 900 birth defects a year.

While these births are obviously tragic, aprticularly if preventable, is it right that more more than 50% of the population who are not at risk (males, children, elderly) should be forced to take this medication?

Does this also mean that there will now be no such thing as organic bread?

Laurie

hzhzhzhz 08:39 12 May 07
  Forum Editor 08:59 12 May 07

by law since 1998, and the incidence of Folate deficiency has fallen dramatically as a result. Folate deficiency is a serious condition, and not just in pregnant women. People who have an unusually high alcohol intake can also suffer from folate deficiency.

The condition can result in heart failure, irritability, forgetfulness, and progressive sleeplessness. A number of studies have shown that reduced folic acid intake is also likely to lead to an increased risk of developing colonic cancer.

Adding it to our bread can only be a good thing - it will harm nobody.

laurie53 09:24 12 May 07

Don't doubt your argument, but this course of action is being proposed purely because of birth defects.

In addition, should we not be given a choice whether we wish to take this medicine - whether it does any harm or not.

Think of the furore about fluoride, which would be of direct benefit to a far greater proportion of the population (and incidentally would save the NHS lots of money)

Laurie

Belatucadrus 09:39 12 May 07

click here As folic acid occurs naturally in some foods, I'm not going to get frazzled by the addition of a bit more. It's unfortunately well documented that a lot of people here can't or won't balance their diet properly, if adding a bit of vitamin B9 to bread helps stop birth defects, then good.
To my mind it's a dietary supplement, not a medicine that would have to be something like an antibiotic.

Forum Editor 09:54 12 May 07

this isn't a medicine in the accepted sense, all of us need to take in folic acid every day. You're already ingesting it, all that will happen is that you'll ingest a bit more, and your body will deal with it quite naturally.

Watchful 11:43 12 May 07

I agree. It won't harm you.

spuds 15:49 12 May 07

Didn't we have the same sort of debates about fluoride?.

laurie53 20:38 12 May 07

And what about those with a folic acid allergy?

They will certainly be harmed by this, unless they are banned from eating bread.

Of course, once we start banning people with certain medical conditions from indulging in some everyday activity which healthy people enjoy, we can introduce it for those with HIV, or scizoprhrenia or MS.

A dangerous precedent.

Laurie

€dstowe 22:22 12 May 07

Life itself is a fatal disease. It invariably ends in death.

rdave13 22:35 12 May 07

Never; as I don't intend to die.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5