For the first time since I have been using Opera..

Mr Mistoffelees 19:15 08 Mar 06

The IntelliTXT ads are now appearing correctly. Recently they started to appear, but were not displayed correctly and were, therefore, un readable. Until a few weeks ago I did not see them at all with Opera.

PurplePenny 20:23 08 Mar 06

Are they the Google ads down the side? If so they've only recently appeared for me too (Firefox).

ade.h 20:40 08 Mar 06

Do you mean the Google Syndication banner adverts?

They took a bit of lateral thinking to block, as the URL is unique for each and every page.

I shouldn't say that though! I appreciate that this site is funded by the sponsorship.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:44 08 Mar 06

They are the ads that appear when you hover over the green highlighted text in the postings.

Ade.h, how did you get rid of the side ads? All I managed to get rid of was the Google heading.

ade.h 22:05 08 Mar 06

Well, sheepishly, I can't quite remember off the top of my head!

I think I put just the first part of the URL (the part that never changes) into Adblock and that was enough. Didn't need a wildcard on the end of it either.

There's no way that adding each URL via a right-click will work as they are all unique.

But perhaps I should not reveal that; I'll be in the doghouse! LOL.

ade.h 22:06 08 Mar 06

Oh and I don't get green text, but I think that's down to NoScript.

Damn, there I go again......

I'll get me coat!!

Forum Editor 23:31 08 Mar 06

If you feel that way, why not keep it to yourself, instead of saying "I shouldn't say that though!" when you've already said it.

That's the kind of thing that irritates me beyond belief. If you appreciate that we need the ad revenue then appreciate it - don't go boasting about how "They took a bit of lateral thinking to block".

Words fail me, to be honest.

ade.h 23:52 08 Mar 06

I only meant that in jest, as I'm sure you can understand. Surely you know me well enough by now not to take everything that I type seriously.

As I have said before in previous discussions about this subject; regardless of the fact that I would be happy with a subscription system, I can understand that a lot of users would not, and the revenue has to come from somewhere. That's fine.

But if I wasn't a Firefox user, those adverts would be a distraction; that's the way it is. If I had no means to blank them, I would just put up with them but as they can be blocked, I will, as it increases the site's readability.

Because of the need for those ads, and the benefit that I and everyone else gets from them, I don't particularly feel like telling people how to block them. But the fact is that Mr. Mistoffelees asked me a direct question and I responded.

How can you possibly think that my comment was a boast??! It was just stating a fact. A boast would be saying "they're easy to block" or something to that effect.

And if making lighthearted jokey comments which cause no harm or offense to anyone - except yourself apparently - are not welcome, then I'll be totally serious from now on. And if we all went around doing that, life would be a lot more boring.

I'm sorry if I have been misinterpreted.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:51 09 Mar 06

I never intended to cause a problem. I just wondered how you could block ads when the address keeps changing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…