'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion

  peter99co 14:36 23 Sep 11
Locked

spontaneous combustion

How unusual!

Mr Green said he doubted explanations centred on divine intervention.

  daz60 15:21 23 Sep 11

A very unusual but not unknown event,remember reading a book about this many years ago but no valid explanation yet.Seems incredible that such intense heat can cause damage to only the unfortunate victim and close surroundings.

  Aitchbee 15:31 23 Sep 11

I have seen 'pictures' in various paranormal books in the library, but why is it not observed more often in every-day life? I am a bit-of-a-doubter.

  peter99co 15:45 23 Sep 11

AitchBEE

Not observed more often in every-day life?

It is a very rare event. It suggests the thermostat within us has failed to stop heat creation and like a compost heap we catch fire.

A bit of a crude example I suppose. Old coal slag heaps catch fire as well and water is to blame I think.

We are made of a high percentage of water.

  Mr Mistoffelees 15:48 23 Sep 11

Must have had one hell of a fever to get that hot!

  Aitchbee 15:59 23 Sep 11

I have seen plastic bus-shelters catch fire very suddenly - by young 'toe-rags' throwing lighted papers on top.There is usually an explanation for these unexplained things.

  Chegs ®™ 16:39 23 Sep 11

As was said in the linked article,these cases involve close proximity to an open fire.Also the body burned extremely hot thus destroying any evidence of a source of the initial combustion.The close proximity to open fires in these cases makes me sceptical of spontaneity.

  peter99co 17:19 23 Sep 11

How Spontaneous Human Combustion Works

phenomena/shc.htm

Footnote: A small percentage of people have actually survived what has been called their spontaneous combustion.

  peter99co 17:21 23 Sep 11

Failed link.

Try this

  Quickbeam 18:08 23 Sep 11

I recall a few years ago there was a programme (Horizon?) that looked into this. They came to the conclusion that it was where people with solid fuel fires in a room with insufficient ventilation passed out and fell too near to the fire. Then they smouldered away over a long period of time, a bit like a charcoal burner makes charcoal.

Sorry to put the dampeners on the idea of just spontaneously self igniting while running to catch the number 47 bus...

  Aitchbee 18:22 23 Sep 11

Spontaneity is a great word also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced