Fireworks, more control yes or no?

lofty29 08:52 31 Oct 08

The firework season is here again ,and no doubt we will hear of damage and injuries. Do members of the forum feel that there is a need for greater control of fireworks, ie only organised displays, only a limited time for the sale and letting off of same. In liverpool the firebrigade and police are attempting to stop some of the bonfires and seizing illegal firworks.

crosstrainer 09:06 31 Oct 08

I have nothing against firework, but feel that an organised display is the way regulation should go.

People under the influence of alcohol letting off explosives in back gardens is a recipe for injury. On the 5th, I keep the dog's inside, and they usually curl up next to me when it's all going on. We have a large well organised display across the river from me, so neighbours tend to go there instead of having their own displays.

Quickbeam 09:15 31 Oct 08

You get a much better firework experience from an organised display, as opposed to a £20 selection box and a packet of sparklers in a wet back garden, while you burn the autumn leaves with the ubiquitous effigy of the current PM on top...

sunnystaines 09:53 31 Oct 08

shops have all got them in, cornor shops now selling less than half price. first year not heard them going off in the street at night.

Condom 09:59 31 Oct 08

If you mean more legal controls then I say no as I believe there are enough of these already. What I believe we need is more self control by the couldn't care less minority.

laurie53 10:01 31 Oct 08

Explosives are meant to cause death and destruction, like guns, with a few exceptions like distress rockets and flare guns.

They are not toys.

lofty29 10:41 31 Oct 08

Some interesting replies, the term "illegal fireworks" refers to those sold by people who don't have a licence which is now required by law. Amongst the problems now are the facts that bonfires and fireworks years ago were a few days around the 5th november celebrating the gunpowder plot, they seem to go on forever in recent years, plus the fact that the fireworks themselves have become so powerful, they are more in the professional display type than the older ones we were used to. I dont't know if it is my imagination but so many more shops seem to be selling them now, supermarkets, pound shops, etc, and a small box cost's about £50. My opinion for what its worth is that the situation has reached the stage that only properly organised displays run by trained people is the way forward

ventanas 10:44 31 Oct 08

Organised licenced displays only. The sale to the general public should be banned completely.
I hate the damn things.

skeletal 10:48 31 Oct 08

I don’t mind fireworks per se, what I object to is that bonfire night is no longer 5th Nov, it is every night from dusk until 2AM, between early November and mid December, couple of days rest around Christmas day, then the same again for a fortnight over the new year.

I wouldn’t even mind that, but for the fact that the only purpose of the things is for yobs to chuck them around the street and for them to make as much noise as possible. How about a maximum noise level, say 70dBA at 1 metre??!!

Skeletal

Bingalau 11:20 31 Oct 08

Hey, if these people want to waste their dosh on stupid things like fireworks, then they have less to spend on alcohol.

sunnystaines 13:05 31 Oct 08

"My opinion for what its worth is that the situation has reached the stage that only properly organised displays run by trained people is the way forward"

I agree with that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5