Firewall capabilities

TheFugitive276 10:47 07 Oct 04

According to the news fines are now to be imposed upon Brits who offer copyrighted music to others. In order to avoid the possibility of being incorrectly identified as such, are any firewalls or other software capable of shielding identity?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:45 07 Oct 04

Quite simply, no. There is no way that home users can hide their identity or their use of the net. The records are kept for 6 yeras. Your ISP will know what you have up or downloaded, when and where you have been. They will also have a copy of every email sent and received. Anyone that has been doing a lot of copyright file sharing, especially films, will be well and truly stuffed.

G

TheFugitive276 12:11 07 Oct 04

Thanks for the information Gandalf. Presumably our Data Protection Act may prevent 'trawling' for evidence but I think you are right. Some people should be worried!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:05 07 Oct 04

The data protection act goes out of the window where crime is suspected.

G

georgemac 14:44 07 Oct 04

on the radio this morning the British Phongraphic Industry said they would be pursuing individuals who had "uploaded" large quantities of copyrighted music to allow others access to it for downloads.

TheFugitive276 15:04 07 Oct 04

georgemac - I think the words used by the news service are confusing. I don't think they mean that you must have obtained the music from a download & then offer it to others in order to be fined. I understand that when you buy a recording you only own the cd/vinyl it is pressed into, not the music itself.

gandalf - It would be interesting to know whether our ISP's could be forced to supply lists of ALL p to p users together with their names & addresses. If so, they would then be giving out personal details of persons who may NOT be swapping copyrighted material. This is what I meant by 'trawling'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:13 07 Oct 04

All it would need is for the authorities to ask for those people whose accounts show unnaturally high usage from uploads and downloads. If I were sharing/downloading copyright files, especially films, I would be a little worried now.

G

TheFugitive276 17:49 07 Oct 04

I know what you are saying Gandalf. Of course each Country has it's own laws & methods acceptable elsewhere may not be so in the UK, even though agreement to impose fines has already been agreed in principle. The first batch of 'prosecutions' (if that is the right word in this case) will be interesting to watch. I am sure that the British spirit will give the B.P.I. a run for their money!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:02 07 Oct 04

'prosecutions' (if that is the right word in this case)'...it is, they are/were breaking the law, clear and simple. One hopes they have enough ready cash to hand. If you had your copyright material stolen, you would not be querying the meaning of the word 'prosecution'.

G

TheFugitive276 18:17 07 Oct 04

I agree entirely Mr Gandalf. The recording/performing artist is entitled to their royalties. Do you remember the time when LP's cost a fortune and contained one or two decent tracks and the other measly eight or ten were 'fillers'. CD's now cost proportionately much less than LP's did in the 1960's and contain many more tracks. Do you remember that prior to 1971 compilation albums did not exist? I believe that the recording industry were to blame, not the artists. Now that the means to make near perfect digital copies and transmit same via 'phone lines exists the recording industry makes rather less of a fortune than it once did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…