Firefighter arrested for stampeding cows

Seth Haniel 11:02 02 Mar 10

click here

Firefighter arrested after farmer killed by stampeding cows 'spooked' by siren and lights

"My brother Richard said he tried to stop the engine coming through."

So pity the poor people involved in the road accident - where vital seconds may be the difference between their lives or death!

Quickbeam 11:17 02 Mar 10

doesn't give a god given right to ignore the highway code rules. They only to allow you leeway 'if' it's 'safe' to take it.

I've said before, that too many blue light drivers get on an ego trip when they switch on the bells and whistles.

Cymro. 11:27 02 Mar 10

Yes indeed and sadly very true. There seems to be a sort of arrogance among some of them especially the police. The number of road deaths resulting from such incidence is much too high.

Chris the Ancient 11:59 02 Mar 10

... in a police car, there is another point of view as far as use of 'blues and twos' is concerned.

It was put to me, "Imagine the mind set person/victim involved who is waiting for much needed help; the sound of an approaching emergency vehicle may give them that extra incentive to 'hang on' that bit longer."

I'm NOT saying that I would agree completely that this is applicable in every case. There has to be common sense and judgement applied in the use of 'blues and twos'. From the linked report, it is rather one-sided in that the fire brigade concerned is, quite rightly, not saying very much in the matter.

So, in this case, I'll await the court's decision when they have heard ALL the evidence.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:23 02 Mar 10

All call outs are emergencies.

G

Input Overload 12:40 02 Mar 10

GANDALF <|:-)> I disagree, I almost saw a pile up as a Police car ran the red lights at the end of my road. Often they are trivial incidents, my next door neighbor is a superintendent & they are clamping down on the use of blue lights & ignoring traffic lights unless it is life or death. (Most are not - Her words)

The idiot Policeman who almost caused a pile up should in my mind be banned from driving. It was only through the extremely skilful driving of the uneducated/ none skidpan trained/ Joe Public driver that prevented what I would think was a near fatality.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:25 02 Mar 10

In an accident or a fire, it is unlikely that anyone can assess the seriousness so crews have to treat all accidents as serious..remember Piper Alpha?

'I can't find any mention of how serious the accident they were attending was so it's jumping to conclusions to suggest that seconds were 'vital'... I was answering that remark.....it is difficult to assess the seriousness until the relevant personnel are on site.

G

Seth Haniel 13:30 02 Mar 10

"I can't find any mention of how serious the accident they were attending was so it's jumping to conclusions to suggest that seconds were 'vital'."

So police etc have just to drive to scene expecting it not to be an urgent case of life and death - think it better to arrive in time than too late - if it was you laid in the road I think you would appreciate a fast response

WhiteTruckMan 13:46 02 Mar 10

That in no way, shape or form justifies putting further lives at risk by driving recklessly.

WTM

Seth Haniel 13:56 02 Mar 10

not saying it does -
but there is a difference between responding rapidly to an emergency within the law and normal to and from drivinf

WhiteTruckMan 14:01 02 Mar 10

I agree. But I'm not the one who needs to know this.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…