Fire tears through seaside pier

day2strike 08:47 28 Jul 08

This will really effect the local businesses in the area.
More so as this time of year it's the highet of the tourist trade!
click here

day2strike 10:31 28 Jul 08

More pictures click here

Clapton is God 10:36 28 Jul 08

I've just been talking to my sister on the phone.

She lives about 10 miles away from Weston and can see the smoke and flames from her house.

She tells me that the pier was undergoing refurbishment. I live about 25 miles from Brighton and I seem to remember a similar event a few years ago when one of Brighton's piers was undergoing refurbishment and also went up in flames.

Chris the Ancient 11:36 28 Jul 08

I live not too far away from the pier (35 mins). And I used to visit it a lot when I was younger (lots of years ago).

What makes it worse was that the pier had been virtually finished - and was open to the public. This major refurbishment (and significant capital investment) had been made following the pier being sold (after 60+ years in the same family).

Just been listening to the local news headlines ant it appears that the fire may have broken out in the vicinity of a fish and chip shop concession in a corner of the main building.

But what a time to happen. Just as the holiday season is starting - with its expected income.

laurie53 19:55 28 Jul 08

Been on that pier many times.

As I recall, the old Campbells' paddle steamers used to land there from Cardiff/Penarth etc.

Clapton is God 21:06 28 Jul 08

I think you're confusing the Grand Pier with the Birnbeck Pier click here

pchelper001 22:22 28 Jul 08

this being my local seaside, i must have spent hours and hours of my childhood on that pier. Lucky this didnt happen yesterday when the helidays event was taking place, i was there enjoying it.

Its a bad loss for Weston, but i hope they rebuild it soon.

DieSse 00:23 29 Jul 08

I phoned my aunt in Weston to tell her - we're in Spain - she was surprised as she didn't know!

mkennyd 00:41 29 Jul 08

too all concerned.
Don't worry i know it's tragic but weston pier is a heritage site so will be rebuilt too it's former glory. I know it will, so don't be too disheartened, I too spent my younger years with parents on the pier and to this day know that it will rise again.
WESTONER
MIKE.

"I mean, when it burnt down last time, in 1930, it took three years and they probably moved a bit quicker then than we do nowadays."
ain't that the truth!

laurie53 07:29 29 Jul 08

Probably right.

It was over 60 years ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…