Festival prize for Winehouse joke

Seth Haniel 09:40 22 Aug 08

click here

"funniest joke of the Edinburgh Fringe" ;)

GRIDD 11:01 22 Aug 08

"I am absolutely delighted to have won the award. I know self-harming is not funny but it's just a joke, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it."

ROFLMAO

DippyGirl 12:38 22 Aug 08

Funnier than the winning line

peter99co 13:20 22 Aug 08

I like the second prize winners joke about Beckhams skeleton. :-))

jakimo 22:41 22 Aug 08

Something distastful about joking about self harming even if it it is about AW.

Second winners joke was funny though

Stuartli 00:21 23 Aug 08

Ironically, some of the finest humour arises out of tragic events.

Kev.Ifty 00:27 23 Aug 08

Frankie Boyle had the best joke about Amy Winehouse. He reckons she looks like one of those adverts you see in the press for horse rescue Charity's

GRIDD 01:06 23 Aug 08

Kev.Ifty My favourite is Mark Lamarr's line on never mind the buzzcocks about Red Rum siring so many winners and Amy Winehouse. Tried searching and can't find it though...

Pineman100 18:00 25 Aug 08

"Something distastful about joking about self harming even if it it is about AW."

Of course it's distasteful. That's why it's funny!

Forum Editor 18:42 25 Aug 08

There seems to be an indefinable line separating tragedy from comedy, and at times it's hard to know when to stop. I'm one of those people who have to fight an irrepressible urge to laugh when I see someone slip and fall, and not because I think it's hilarious that someone might injure themselves - I just can't help it. I'm not alone in this, it's quite common, and is no doubt the reason that slapstick became so popular. Some Mothers do 'ave 'em was one of the most successful TV comedy series ever, and was based entirely on the slapstick principal.

The Amy Winehouse joke is funny in the same way - she's a tragic figure in several ways, and this leaves her wide open to this kind of joke. I very much doubt that she cares in the slightest as she reads her latest bank statement, and nor would I. It's one of the costs of fame.

Seth Haniel 20:42 25 Aug 08

waiting to happen.

And current news items are always good fodder for the joke -
As in 'Have I Got News For You' and 'Mock The Week'.

Of course not all will be PC in this day and age a step backwards from the 70's I suppose

But - "You have to Laugh" ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…