The FE's favourite Dreamliner is unsafe

TopCat® 16:53 20 Sep 07

according to this former Boeing engineer. click here A case of sour grapes perhaps, but he did send in a report to the FAA outlining his concerns.

After all the testing this plane will get I would hardly think the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) would give certification until they are totally satisfied with the results. TC.

Forum Editor 17:05 20 Sep 07

I'm always slightly wary of whistle-blowers, they usually have a grudge of some kind, and this man seems to be no exception. However.... Boeing will have to demonstrate that the aircraft is at least as safe as a conventional aluminium one in a crash, and that isn't easy. I'm sure the FAA will keep this scare story firmly in mind when they evaluate the data.

I'm fairly philosophical when it comes to this kind of thing - I have to fly quite a lot to earn my living, so there's not much point in dwelling on the dangers. Flying is the safest form of travel by far, and if I'm not involved in a crash I'm unlikely to have to worry about whether the carbon construction will 'shock' me.

See you on the Dreamliner.

Weskit 18:51 20 Sep 07

"very, very, very few planes do fall out of the sky" . That's only because there are so very, very, very many planes in the air at any one time.

Forum Editor 18:58 20 Sep 07

Eh?

The reason so very few planes fall out of the sky isn't because there are so many of them up there - that doesn't make any sense at all.

They don't fall out of the sky very often because they are so safe. You would have to get into an aircraft at birth, and fly all day, every day for the rest of your life to stand even a fair chance of being involved in an aircraft accident.

Chegs ®™ 19:46 20 Sep 07

I gave up reading the link when it said that the dreamliner was less safe than other aircraft made of aluminium as the latter crumples....it matters little what the things made of,hitting the ground at hundreds of mph is gonna kill ya and if the fuel ignites your still gonna be toast...the only change being in the latter,your surviving relatives will sue Boeing claiming the toxic particles killed you.

Forum Editor 19:55 20 Sep 07

Brief and pithy, and largely correct.

Noldi 20:04 20 Sep 07

"The brittleness of the plastic material from which the 787 fuselage is built would create a more severe impact shock to passengers than an aluminum plane"

It seems strange that F1 drivers are surviving impacts in plastic F1 cars that would have killed them in Aluminium base chassis.

See Kubicas crash in Canadian GP.

Noldi

brundle 20:37 20 Sep 07

I think size and mass might have something to do with that, an F1 car and a plane are not comparable, no matter what they're made of.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:49 20 Sep 07

Mass of object + terminal velocity + deceleration to zero movement.

G

WhiteTruckMan 21:22 20 Sep 07

Only if you fly commercially, with properly trained pilots in properly maintained machines. If you go private, the risks increase significantly.

WTM

Weskit 11:17 21 Sep 07

Sorry about my comment. I was talking about numbers - ratios. Fatal accidents do happen...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…