Female Singers

spuds 17:26 05 Jul 08

We have music threads on a fairly regular basis, which seem very popular by quite a number of music knowledgeable forum members. So here's a challenge.

I have a fair selection of female singer cd's which I want to increase, and I wonder what your choice would be.

My preference is for female singer's like Anastacia, Patti Austin, Heidi Newfield etc, all of whom have a range of voice tones to suit most music styles from country & western, jazz, blues, pop, usually on the same cd.

wiz-king 17:35 05 Jul 08

Joan Baez, Julie Felix -- oops showing my age.

Clapton is God 17:42 05 Jul 08

These 3 are not bad! click here

And I'm pretty impressed by the guitar solo which kicks in at 2:17. ;-)))

interzone55 17:46 05 Jul 08

Sarah McLachlan
Jennifer Warnes
Kate Bush

There's a lot of new female singer / songwriters around at the moment:
Kate Rusby
Amy MacDonald
Duffy
Beth Rowley

Bingalau 17:52 05 Jul 08

Oh come on now you can't beat the oldies. Doris Day, Dinah Shore, etc.

Mind you I am going to be watching "Last Choir Standing" tonight on BBC1 at 19.45 hrs. I watched a coach-load of them practising, when they stopped at a motorway service station for a break a couple of months ago. They were brilliant in the open air minus music. Go girls!! I have forgotten your names but I will recognise you on the telly.

natdoor 18:00 05 Jul 08

I enjoyed your trio, CiG.

I would suggest Mary Black be added to yur list, spuds.

natdoor 18:02 05 Jul 08

Or even to your list.

Bingalau 18:19 05 Jul 08

Here are a few of the female singers of the fifties etc. All of them could be perfectly understood too, not like todays screamers.

Barbra Streisand; Dinah Washington; Jane Powell; Lena Horne; Ella Fitzgerald; Billie Holiday; Brenda Lee; Deanna Durbin; Jo Stafford; Patti Page; Kay Starr; Sarah Vaughan; Andrew Sisters; Anne Shelton and more who were far more accomplished at their singing. Why there is also a certain barmaid in the Rovers Return who used to sing to us through the war years too. None other than Betty Turpin.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:34 05 Jul 08

Kate Bush and Annie Lennox.

Stuartli 20:02 05 Jul 08

As Bingalau, plus Barbara Dickson, Eva Cassidy, Annie Lennox, Linda Ronstadt, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones, Whitney Houston, Karen Carpenter, Shirley Bassey, Dusty, Barbra Streisand, Janis Joplin, Leona Lewis, Tina Turner plus dozens of others...

Stuartli 20:13 05 Jul 08

I thought Duffy was terrific at Glastonbury.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5