feeling old

wolfie3000 06:20 21 Sep 05

just been thinking as i browsed the forums about how pc technology moves so fast nowadays i remember when blue tooth was new lol.
i cant keep up with it all things like dual core cpu,s 64bit proccesors vista and such do other members feel the same way?
it seems to me if you havent got the latest gfx card, cpu sound card, etc, that your pc is obsolete.
my pc is 1300mhz cpu 310MB ram 40gig hard drive so is my machine out of date?

wee eddie 06:30 21 Sep 05

There are folk here still using Windows '95 on a regular basis, and I believe there are some that still fire up Windows 3.1 Models with HDD's measured in 10's of Mgs.

There are many still using W 98se, and Millennium, so don't panic.

Anyway, whatever you have bought has a legacy issue shortly after delivery.

wolfie3000 06:35 21 Sep 05

nice to know but you have to admit that pc specs nowadays are getting bigger and better and faster and keeping abreast of the latest bit of kit is hard?

wiz-king 06:53 21 Sep 05

If you want to play the latest super-duper games you will need to update fairly regularly, but if you just do a few letters or the local club newsletter each month your computer should be OK for as long as it lasts - 5 years or more.

Computers are like cars and mobile phones, no model lasts more than a few months and a 'better' model with more features comes along.
I am a great believer in the KISS principle - my mobile phone is just that, it does not receive the web, faxes or take pictures, just a phone. The car is as simple as we could get - no sunroof, electric windows, CD player or GPS, we even have to use a key to lock the doors! But then I am an old stick-in-the-mud I dont believe in change for changes sake.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:49 21 Sep 05

Most peopl only use less than 1% of their machine's capability so the majority of new 'features' are useless.

G

watchful 08:05 21 Sep 05

Don't bother trying to keep up. If what you've got suits you and it's running well with no problems then that's all you need.

wolfie3000 08:25 21 Sep 05

im not trying to keep up in the sense of upgrading its just i feel i cant keep up with the new technology in that i dont understand it it makes me feel old lol

wee eddie 09:38 21 Sep 05

I've just turned 60 and was experiencing a serious attack of "aging angst" but have been very firmly put back amoung'st the middle aged.

spuds 11:11 21 Sep 05

You will never succeed in beating modern technology,and people who constantly keep changing their computers or other IT goods for something 'better' is at times a wonder to me. The computer that I am using is about four-five years old, allowing for slight repairs,and it doe's more that enough for me, with bags on unused area's in reserve.

Recently I purchased a bargain priced new computer. Nothing fancy, just an higher H/D, cpu and memory, and that's still in the box awaiting setting up [when I get around to it].

wolfie3000 12:33 21 Sep 05

im 30 lol so i cant really compain about feeling old but when i was in my early 20,s i knew nearly every thing about emerging technology now im just lost

amonra 14:24 21 Sep 05

For years I was a "buld-it-yourself" man and had much fun and grief trying to keep up with the trends. It did keep my brain active but I was gradually losing the plot like some of the above. About 6 months ago I was conned by my know-it-all daughter ( a schoolteacher) to buy a new Dell. OK, it works fine, no complaints, but I miss the challenge of fixing things. Also, I have lost track of the latest developments and ideas. If you dont keep abreast of developments, you quickly lose it ! I know my requirements are minimal as regards speed and capacity, I could probably get my old Sinclair Z80 out again and it would do all I need. But it is nice to see programs whizzing along, and pages loading instantly init ?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…