Feed The Birds

gardener 16:29 06 Jan 10

Most probably don't need this reminder, but with this extended cold period the birds need as much food as we can give them. They also need a regular supply of water. The RSPB has a guide to feeding our feathered friends:

click here

karmgord 16:56 06 Jan 10

Tuppence a bag?
I feel a song coming on!

Forum Editor 17:02 06 Jan 10

We have a robin in the garden, and it comes and 'asks'for food as soon as one of us goes outside. I was just out there, taking some photographs of the garden under six inches of snow, and the robin landed by my feet, looking to be fed and watered - now done.

Woolwell 17:10 06 Jan 10

We have been feeding the wild birds today making sure that that the food didn't get covered in snow. Interesting to see the pecking order. I hadn't realised that blackbirds could be so bossy.

Cymro. 17:18 06 Jan 10

bad weather is a natural state of affairs in winter that out native birds are well adapted to survive in. I would much rather think of ways to help the less well-off humans among us come through all this.

Forum Editor 17:23 06 Jan 10

Birds die by the thousand during as cold weather spell - many of them from thirst. It doesn't matter how well adapted you are, if you rely on insects and grubs etc. to keep alive you'll have a pretty thin time when there's frost and snow about.

Relatively few humans will not "come through all this". I'll carry on feeding the birds, I think.

Woolwell 17:24 06 Jan 10

There is some pleasure in watching the birds feed and can be done quite cheaply. This pastime helps may who are not wealthy including housebound who can watch the birds from the window.

You have no idea what many of us do as well as feed birds and put posts on this forum.

TopCat® 17:46 06 Jan 10

moment and it's remarkable how resourceful they can be when it comes to getting our attention.

A pair of pigeons have taken to landing on our conservatory roof and then to peck and pull at the guttering which makes a noise, and won't stop until we show ourselves. The braver of our blackbirds too are now pecking at the lower windows when they turn up for what's on offer, and are even bold enough to come inside when they can.

They all get fed and watered twice a day at the moment and their numbers and varieties seem to be increasing daily as the 'word' spreads around the neighbourhood. Just recently increased my wild bird feedstock and they're making real inroads into it already. They are worth it for the very real pleasure they give us. TC.

octal 19:11 06 Jan 10

Wifey has been feeding the birds for years, I think we've got London's supply of Sparrows in our one of our trees. Not forgetting the tree rats, they cost me a blinking fortune and talk about demanding, if their box is empty we get verbal warnings from them.

Nearly forgot, we get a couple of Jay's that we put monkey nuts out for them, they are very shy, they usually perch on the TV antenna opposite us and wait until we have gone in before they come down and take the nuts.

morddwyd 19:56 06 Jan 10

We have a female blackbird which not only appears on the kitchen windowsill with a flourish when the light goes on in the morning, but comes into the garage, where the bird food is kept, and stands and waits for all the world like a pet cat or dog.

oldbeefer2 20:03 06 Jan 10

Apart from the usual peanut feeders and fat balls, have been putting 'wild bird food' on the birdtable. Looks like a mixture of all sorts of seed, but none of the birds seen (blackbird, tits, robin, sparrows, chaffinch, greenfinch) seem interested in one particular small seed. Odd. They all seem to love the defrosted birdbath though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…