Fed up being outbid on ebay

WhiteTruckMan 16:03 24 Feb 07

by people with large amonts of transactions behind them who outbid me by 5p with 5 seconds or less to go. Its happened 4 times in the last 24 hours, and they arent putting in an automatic bid as they have not previously bid. Is there some trick to it, or are they really sat at their machines waiting until the last gasp?

WTM

Kate B 16:06 24 Feb 07

There are all sorts of packages you can use to put bids in in the dying seconds of an auction, though I've a couple of times sat with my finger poised over the mouse button to click in the final seconds ...

anskyber 16:08 24 Feb 07

There is software that will do it for you. I don't think it's possible to outsmart it but others here may know more about it.

I do not use ebay regularly but when I do I check ebay time (usually bottom left in small writing)with my PC time then use PC time to bid with 6-8 secs to spare giving the bid a chance to get in.

Pamy 16:34 24 Feb 07

I think you also have to set your max. bid at the last seconds

hastelloy 16:34 24 Feb 07

I use Hammersnipe - its free and it takes away the temptation to up your bid at the last moment, so you can still be outbid but only if somebody beats the maximum you've decided you're prepared to pay or places an equal bid before yours goes in.

Diemmess 16:37 24 Feb 07

Best chance of making the winning bid needs two defining moments from you.

1). Make your bid as close as you dare to finish time.

2). Make your bid as high as you think is your top whack price.

By bidding late you won't be the one to start a frenzy.
By bidding your top price you either win because nobody bid higher than you, or lose because the final price was more than you decided the item was worth.

Your winning bid isn't necessarily the amount you bid, but only the next minimum step over whoever came closest to you.

(Buying or selling particularly low value items is almost worth it for the buzz during the last 30 minutes!)

WhiteTruckMan 16:48 24 Feb 07

been outbid by a few pennies by others who seem to be able to bid in smaller leaps than me.

Frustrating.

I think I will leave it for a bit.

WTM

John B 16:48 24 Feb 07
  spuds 16:51 24 Feb 07

There are various 'snipe' programmes available, but some people will make a final bid on an item within the last minute or even seconds. Not placing a bid before the end of auction, can sometimes fool other people into thinking that no one else is interested, and you may find high activity in placing bids within the last minute.

One procedure that I often follow, is to find a number of the same or very similar items, and check the bidding pattern. This can give an indication as to the maximum this type of item will sell for, so you can place a the 'best' reserve price.

After a time, regular users get more 'tuned' as to the procedures required ;o)

anskyber 16:52 24 Feb 07

Are you putting your max bid in or just trying to beat the last bid?

Noldi 16:56 24 Feb 07

Interesting John B I wonder what happens when 2 people compete using the same software.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…