Favourite European countries

Si_L 22:38 17 Feb 09

Myself and a few friends are planning a backpacking trip across Europe in the summer. As of yet, we don't have a definitive list of countries we are going to go through on the trip. It will be a round trip from UK to Romania and back, hopefully seeing as many places as we can along the way, if only for the day.

Could I please have suggestions of interesting and exciting countries to visit. None of us are looking for a 'scenic' trip to be honest, more of an adventure. Any ideas?

Thanks

interzone55 08:44 18 Feb 09

The map of Europe has changed somewhat since I made a similar journey, but one route I'd take would be
Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Ferry across to Italy, Austria, Switzerland and France

Not sure what your budget is but you'll see some fantastic sights, and if your journey is anything like mine, some adventures along the way.

Just don't don't keep all your money in the same pocket, and sleep on your wallet if you happen to have to bed down on a train...

wiz-king 08:55 18 Feb 09

Dont forget to get cheap railtickets, most countries do them if you get them ordered early. Although they have an upper age limit and some need you to be a student.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:03 18 Feb 09

Don't plan, just go and see what happens. You will have a much better time and see things that you would never normally see if you follow the 'tourist route'. I used to go to South America a lot. I always just booked a flight to a city and worried about hotels/itinerary when I arrived. I hopped onto buses and inland boats without even checking where they were going. As the programmes says...'don't visit, explore'.

Planning is for dull people.

G

dagbladet 11:30 18 Feb 09

"Don't plan, just go..."

What he said.

Si_L 12:15 18 Feb 09

I'm going to be using Interrail, which for about £350 gives a months unlimited travel on any of the trains in Europe. On top of the £350, I have about another £400 for other costs. We are going to camp or use youth hostels to save some money.

Alan14, your route looks good. I like the idea of going down to Greece then across to Italy. We will look into that. What were your favourite places when you went?

Gandalf and dagbladet, if it was up to me then this is what we would be doing, setting out with no agenda and have a proper adventure, but the others in my group want to do it the planned way. I guess doing it this way means we get to see as many places as we can.

€dstowe 14:54 18 Feb 09

Make sure The Netherlands is included in your itinerary.

Noldi 16:18 18 Feb 09

"Gandalf and dagbladet, if it was up to me then" this is what we would be doing
I have found some amazing places when ive been lost.

I can think of a few cities you should plan in.
Paris
Köln
Cochem in the Eifel region
(Mosel River take a boat trip)
Black forest
Münich
Salzburg
Vienna ( Vien)
Budapest
Zürich (Swiss Alps, Rheinfalls)
Bern (feel sorry for the bears, historic city)
Modena (Emilia-Romagna)
Venice
Milan

Just to list a few

Noldi

Forum Editor 18:02 18 Feb 09

to the letter, and you'll expand your consciousness.

When you're young and travelling, planning is the last thing you ought to be doing.

That said, it would be a crime to enter Europe without visiting my second favourite city on earth - spend a few days in Paris.

Si_L 18:54 18 Feb 09

I will try to sway them as I definitely think its better to go without any plans. But we do want to go back to Romania, and that is where we are ultimately heading.

I've been to Paris before and I didn't really think that much of it. Its probably more because I'm not keen on cities, I prefer the proper outdoors and countryside.

Edstowe - I went to the Netherlands a few years ago, and had a horrible time - I had some very questionable food on the ferry and was sick the whole trip, so it will be nice to go back there and see the place properly.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

laurie53 20:37 18 Feb 09

Forget the cheap rail tickets.

Just find the cheapest ferry to the mainland, doesn't matter where it goes to.

At the other end put your backpack on and go.

Small tip - if it's a summer trip leave it as late as possible. Plenty of casual harvest work about then, and if you happen to be in one of the wine producing regions .........!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…