Favourite children's book?

Earthsea 21:09 22 Jul 07

I've just been reading the Harry Potter thread and it got me wondering. It doesn't necessarily have to be a children's book, just the favourite you read as a child.

Mine's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

I used to live by an estuary and on my way to/from school imagined drifting down it on a raft. Just as well I didn't because I would've been lost at sea!

hzhzhzhz 21:26 22 Jul 07

I read hardly any non-fiction as a child but when my daughter was about 5yo she and I together would love to read The Enchanted Wood and The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. LOL,very funny books.:-)

interzone55 21:28 22 Jul 07

My favourite book as a child was Roald Dhal's Danny the Champion of the World.

As for "children's book" I've read as an adult I have to agree with FE and say Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.

Brumas 21:33 22 Jul 07

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. Oh to have lived by those lakes and gotten into those scrapes.

Legolas 21:37 22 Jul 07

My favourite book when I was young was Enid Blyton's The Valley of Adventure.

mammak 21:49 22 Jul 07

Too old to remember one particular book but the likes of Enid Blyton,Beartice Potter and Ronald Dahl's I defiantly read and have since introduced my daughter to reading the likes!

and she is a big Harry Potter fan I did with some reluctance go to the cinema with her (admitadly I was not looking forward to it usually Dad does the Harry Potter with her:-)) to watch the latest movie with her I surprisingly enjoyed it.

bluto1 22:02 22 Jul 07

I cannot remember any particular book I read because having finally been capable of conversing in English by the age of 11 every printed word was read. I had a voracious appetite for any book or periodical and I was always found with my head down and something readable in my hands. Until I was about 9 or 10, during the war, I spoke nothing but Irish and sometimes a smattering of French (from Mum).
I still love reading and set aside at least an hour each day for it.
I remember one book I loved above all others and oddly , it was, and is, a World Atlas. Now that I've been around it 6 or more times, I'm beginning to believe that the world is really round.:-)))

mrwoowoo 22:04 22 Jul 07

favourite book as a child, 'Lord of the flies'.
Evoked so many issues about human nature and civility ,or the break down of it.
Fascinating stuff.
Also 'Of mice and men'by John Steinbeck.

Bingalau 22:22 22 Jul 07

Mine was "Blair of Balaclava" a tale of the death or glory boys of the 19th/21st Lancers. I don't think Blair was any relation to our Tony though. I read that when I was nine years old. Prior to that I had a huge thick book of five stories, consisting of Gulliver's Travels; The Arabian Nights; Little Women; and two other books which my memory will not recall at this moment. (the names will hit me as soon as I hit the "Post response" key of course).

Kate B 22:23 22 Jul 07

I loved the Enid Blyton St Clare and Mallory Towers series and the ... of Adventure books too. I also loved the Narnia books and Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie series.

Stuartli 22:41 22 Jul 07

Many moons ago I read every Enid Blyton book published, all those by Arthur Ransome, Billy Bunter, Biggles - all the stalwarts in fact.

Children used to read very much more then, so it's pleasing to see that books like the Harry Potter series helps to develop the trend once more.

It's wonderful escapism, which is why the radio still proves hugely popular even though many thought its days were over with the advent of television.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…