Favicon designers please step forward.

Forum Editor 23:15 22 Jul 05

Many of you will have noticed that we introduced a PCA favicon recently. For those who are unfamiliar with the word, a favicon (short for 'favourite icon') is a small graphic icon. When a computer user bookmarks a specific web page from a site, the page loads a customized icon into the user's browser, typically a tiny version of a company's logo. The favicon is displayed next to the web site's name in the favorites list and can also be displayed in the links toolbar.

Our favicon was produced quite quickly, and drew a degree of criticism from some people. Sensing a challenge, we thought it might be an idea to invite any budding graphic designers out there to design our favicon for us. There's no prize, apart from the lasting fame that would come from having your work displayed on tens of thousands of computer-users' favourites lists.

Don't forget - your file must be 16x16 pixels, your colours must come from the default Windows 16 colours and must be saved as favicon.ico

The letters PCA must form part of your icon.

You'll need some software to create the icon, and there's an excellent free program (called IconArt) available if you
click here

Send your gems to me at: [email protected]. to arrive no later than midnight on Monday next, 25th July. The entries will be judged by a distinguished panel consisting of me (Forum Editor), Guy Dixon (PCA Editor) and one of our backroom site experts, and the winner announced here, and in a forthcoming edition of the magazine.

Kev.Ifty 23:54 22 Jul 05

I know its not what you're asking for but when i save PCA to my favourites all i get is the blue 'E' so i searched and got my own icon and created a desktop shortcut using...

click here

. Kev

Forum Editor 08:56 23 Jul 05

entries in .gif format - please not that we must have files saved in .ico format, which can be done using the software available from my link - amongst others.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:57 23 Jul 05

Oh well, the gaunlet is down and I'll accept the challenge!

octal 21:14 23 Jul 05

I've been having a laugh at this one, using 16 colours and obviously using your company logo and colour, nice one FE, it hasn't stopped me having a go but its a challenge to improve on what's already there.

I can just imagine you sitting back there and saying "Go on mate, have a go and see if you can do any better" :-D

niknax 23:45 23 Jul 05

i'd love to help out and give it a go!!

Forum Editor 23:47 23 Jul 05

and some of them are good. Don't send me an image of your design, I want the favicon.ico file itself.

Forum Editor 23:39 25 Jul 05

and I'm still receiving entries. THanks to everyone for your hard work. We'll let you know which one we decide to use as soon as possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…