Fatal flaw in the instructions for Eye Ointment application!

sydsnott 12:00 04 Jul 14

Suffering some post cateract op problems I was first given drops...fine, as with all these medications, they warn against touching the tip of the dropper with fingers or your eye to maintain content serility. Fine, so you sit before a mirror and position your hands so that when you tilt your headback, gravity does it's work, and everything is hunky dory!

Trying that with a viscous ointment it's nigh on impossible to achieve the desired result!

Anyone got any tips?

sydsnott 12:03 04 Jul 14

serility should of course read STERILITY.

When will we get an "Edit" facility!

lotvic 12:17 04 Jul 14

I found instructions with pictures ClickHere if that's any help.

sydsnott 18:37 05 Jul 14

I've given up with the no touchy touchy instruction, silp the nozzle under the lid, hold eye closed and squeeze tube...job done!

The ointment is just so viscous that it won't otherwise part from the tube.

Paddy 00:54 07 Jul 14

I suffered the same problem. Try holding the closed tube under the hot tap for a few seconds, this will make the contents quite soluble and enable it to be used almost like drops.

Paddy

spuds 10:43 07 Jul 14

Eyes are a very special commodity, and its only when you loose any sight you begin to realise how important protection of the sight really is.

In my very young days while doing an apprenticeship, getting slivers of metal in the eye or having a welding flash was a very common thing. I lost count the amount of times I sat in an hospital eye clinic with many others, waiting for 'a foreign body' to be removed or a lengthy episode of ointments and liquids being put into the eyes to ease the 'sand' feeling effect a welding flash had caused.

It was only about three/four years ago, when I had removal of skin cancers from near both my eyes, that events were brought home of the possibility of losing my eye sight. That sudden operating table experience took many years to come home, and I can assure you its not a very pleasant feeling, or one you might want to find yourself in later life. Young and foolish is possibly the best explanation, from my experiences?.

In my day, it was 'Golden Eye Ointment' that was used a lot for eye problems, and like previously mentioned you soon got very accustomed in tilting the head and letting a stream of ointment drop in the eye.

flycatcher1 09:59 08 Jul 14

Just as an aside. My wife had an eye test a fortnight ago and was recommended for a cataract operation. Last Thursday a phone call offered an appointment last Sunday she took it up for the pre-op check. Operation now scheduled for NEXT Sunday. The Eye Hospital is working at weekends to remove the back-log, if only other organisations would take this option up.

Everything so far has been excellent.

BT 11:57 08 Jul 14

flycatcher1

Better she has it done sooner rather than later. When I had mine done they had both got to the stage where I was blind in that eye. Hopefully she will have the modern option of drops as anaesthetic rather than injections. I've had both and the drops are infinitely the best. The rapid response is excellent. I had to wait a couple of months for my second one, and over a year for my first one. Your wife's cataracts are obviously not so severe that she has been inconvenienced by them but I'm sure she will come home saying just how bright and clear everything looks.

I'm not sure where you live but here in Norfolk, the Norfolk and Norwich hospital reportedly does more Cataract surgery than any other UK hospital, in excess of 5000 a year. The Cromer Hospital has recently opened a unit where the whole process (assesment, Pre Op and Surgery) can be done in one day. Now that's a big step forward, so lets hope it can be rolled out in other places too.

flycatcher1 15:00 08 Jul 14

BT. Thanks for your helpful comments. My wife has a real problem with dry eyes, a really painful condition, she has one cateract that needs doing, the other one is OK for now We live near Oxford and our hospitals are very good, likewise our Doctors Practice, although a routine Dr. vist means a ten to fourteen day wait. Serious problems are dealt with on the day by the Duty Doctor and there can be telephone contact if required. We also have a Community Hospital that often provides attention without going to Oxford, it also has a Minor Injuries Unit which is open until late.

flycatcher1 21:25 13 Jul 14

My Wife had her cateract operation this morning carried out by Medinet at an NHS Hospital. Everything about the op. was first class. In this case - waiting lists, what waiting lists ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…