Farming

laurie53 09:12 20 Jun 07

The cereal crop opposite my house has not been sprayed for the last two two weeks in high summer.

Is this a record?

Laurie

wee eddie 10:07 20 Jun 07

fourm member

Part of the problem is that your weather will be different form mine and we are only an hour or so's drive apart.

anskyber 10:17 20 Jun 07

Some local sites do have this information but you need to be lucky for it to be near you. eg click here

wee eddie 10:35 20 Jun 07

The reason is probably that they're embarrassed!

keef66 11:53 20 Jun 07

It's been an odd year for cereal spraying. Herbicide applications should've been completed by March really. Hottest, driest April on record, so low disease levels and little need to spray. May one of the wettest on record, disease levels on the rise, but difficult to get sprays on because of the weather. By now most cereal fungicide sparaying is finished, and although aphids are abundant on everything in my garden, it isn't the same in cereal crops, so insecticide applications are unlikely to be economically justified.

It's probably not a record though.

Forum Editor 15:16 20 Jun 07

with clients who have offices in the countryside, and my route has taken me along 7 miles of delightful winding road through some stunningly beautiful rolling farmland. There were fields of bright yellow rape earlier on, and now there are fields of bright emerald green cereal growth.

Farmers may have a hard life at times, but some of them live it in lovely surroundings.

wee eddie 17:51 20 Jun 07

That'll be you driving around Whitwell then!

laurie53 19:40 20 Jun 07

My original post was a bit ambiguous.

I meant it had not been sprayed with pesticide/ herbicide/ chemical fertiliser and the like.

I'm used to seeing them out there every other week with a huge container and gigantic spraying arms from the time the first green shows until jusr before harvest.

Laurie

Belatucadrus 20:20 20 Jun 07

Maybe they're going "Organic", that's where the money is.

spuds 11:36 21 Jun 07

Belatucadrus as a valid point. "Organic"-- way of the future!.

Fred the flour grader 20:12 21 Jun 07

If you seen how much they spray on the crops a lot more people would go organic. I have witnessed at first hand a farmer going about his day to day business, and I am still shocked at the amount of spraying he does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac