Farewell to CEEFAX

Forum Editor 10:32 AM 22 Oct 12

CEEFAX has been broadcast for the last time.

Take a stroll down memory lane

I can recall thinking that CEEFAX was an astonishing display of cutting edge technology when I first saw it - and it was. How things have moved on.

Quickbeam 11:52 AM 22 Oct 12

I can remember when Space Invaders and Asteroids was cutting edge pub gaming!

interzone55 11:55 AM 22 Oct 12

I remember they used to put BBC Micro programs on Ceefax, pages 800 onwards I think.

We had a tuner card on one of the computers at school, and would download the program off Ceefax, save it to tape and load it on other computers in the class.

I also remember Chris Sievey (aka Frank Sidebottom) used to put ZX Spectrum programs on the b-sides of his singles. Used to get a big shock if you played the wrong side of the record through your speakers

interzone55 11:59 AM 22 Oct 12

Just found the piece of kit needed to download the Telesoftware off Ceefax

http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/content/Acorn-Teletext-Adapter/

morddwyd 15:58 PM 22 Oct 12

AS i recall, the instant update of printed news heralded the end of the newspaper, or so we were told at the time!

finerty 15:59 PM 22 Oct 12

oh well bye bye ceefax it was good to have it spealily if you wanted a good read

Aitchbee 18:16 PM 22 Oct 12

I used to use ceefax (mon-fri) to check the ups & downs of my BT shares...redtext bad...yellowtext good! [Ah...those were the days!] The up-to-date greyhound results and latest betting (especially during the summer months, when evening horse racing was not covered by the bookies, because they closed at 5pm then in the 1980's) was also a 'boon'.

alan14 - Nice link to the Acorn gadget (I've still got the Amigatext version.)

...but I cannot fathom out why the 14 minute ceefax 'YouTube' 'simple video'[with no sound] should require a 50 mb download on my little BB dongle? ('bout 40p in money terms).

That's progress!

Forum Editor 17:10 PM 23 Oct 12

fourm member

One for the archive. Thanks.

morddwyd 20:15 PM 23 Oct 12

I'd almost forgotten Oracle.

Not only was that outlasted by Ceefax, but so was the cutting edge ITV text, apart from adverts.

the.hick 10:53 AM 27 Oct 12

There was also Prestel, although I cannot recall ever using it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestel

morddwyd 11:00 AM 27 Oct 12

I seem to recall that Prestel was expensive to use when other services were free, and it tended to be used a lot by finance houses and travel companies.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone