Fancy writing a book review for PC Advisor?

Matt Egan 17:45 PM 20 Feb 13

Hello Team Forum. It's been a while since we did any reader book reviews, and I wondered two things:

1. Is there any general interest in getting the process running again and me seeing what IT books I can blag?

2. Would anyone like to review this specific book:

iPad for the Older and Wiser: Get Up and Running with Your iPad or iPad mini

The more eagle-eyed amongst you will note that it is co-authored by Rosemary Hattersley, long-time associate editor of PC Advisor and friend of the forum. Rosie has managed to source a few copies which the publisher is happy to give away to potential PCA reviewers.

Let me know on both counts. We'd operate on the same deal as before - you get the book in return for a review. But you can fire over the reviews to me via email and I will use my laser editor eyes to get them into shape and edit them.

Let me know!

woodchip 18:06 PM 20 Feb 13

I don't see how one can judge a book for a iPad, If he does not Have a iPad To Check it by. From a 77 year old

Forum Editor 18:13 PM 20 Feb 13

Your perception does you credit - I assume you'll not be wanting us to add your name to the list for this one.

woodchip 18:35 PM 20 Feb 13

FE don't think so

john bunyan 19:10 PM 20 Feb 13

Having just bought an iPad, I would have a go - ,but maybe , if available, Woolwell is an "expert"??

Aitchbee 19:55 PM 20 Feb 13

My friend, who is not 'up to speed' with his newly acquired IPad2 ... but has to use it, ['cos he's a member of the Local Housing Comittee and they've all got to use IT wether they liked it or not] ... might be interested in learning more about his Ipad2 ... we meet usually, once a fortnight, at his communal washing machine area for an hour or so.

I would [have to] be the 'go-between' in this arrangement, for optimum elucidation of the printed word, but my friend would be the sole enacter of the 10" DEVICE.

Woolwell 21:29 PM 20 Feb 13

I'm not an expert. I've had an iPad 2 for 2 years. Have learnt the hard way sometimes through mistakes like completely wiping an SD card attached to the iPad (thank goodness for Recuva)!

How do I apply? I'm an OAP but not sure about the wiser bit.

I've only got Siri on my iPhone. Don't see a section on adding documents to Pages or Numbers and that could be helpful.

Woolwell 21:36 PM 20 Feb 13

Is there anything in the book about connecting an iPad to a TV? A friend of mine (similar age) didn't know about this and has now discovered how easy it is to show photos.

Quickbeam 22:22 PM 20 Feb 13

Woolwell, Isn't just the same as any other computer, an HDMI to HDMI cable that does it all automatically?

As for the book reviewing I regret that I'm neither old nor wise enough...

Woolwell 23:01 PM 20 Feb 13

Quickbeam - You have to buy an adaptor which allows you to connect the charger too. There's only the one connection on the bottom of the iPad and unless you have gone to the Apple site you will not know about the adaptor as there isn't anything in the manual.

Forum Editor 23:31 PM 20 Feb 13

"How do I apply?"

Send an email to [email protected]

Telling him you would like to review the book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X