//some 3rd party need geo

Fancy talking to Microsoft - at a senior level?

Forum Editor 19:30 13 Jul 04

If you frequent our forum on a regular basis it cannot have escaped your notice that there will shortly be a major Service pack release for Windows XP. Imaginatively entitled SP2 this release is one of the most important Service packs ever to come from the Redmond giant, and they've put a great deal of effort and money into it.
No doubt you're keen to see what goodies lie in store when you get your hands on SP2, but many of you will also be concerned. Rumours about incompatibilities abound, and so do stories about the security fixes that SP2 contains.

I'm going to be talking to Microsoft's SP2 supremo very soon, and I'll be grilling him on some of the issues that concern you. Here's your chance to have your questions answered by the man at the top, and I'm relying on you to come up with some real gems - post your questions here.

I can't promise that I'll get answers to everything - I'll be selecting the questions I think are most relevant to us all - but I'll do my best to get the real low-down. Keep your questions relevant to SP2 (no general Microsoft or Windows problems please), and try to keep it short, I don't have the time to read essays I'm afraid.

There's a deadline looming soon, so I would appreciate some early input - I know I can rely on you. The results will appear in my Consumerwatch page in the magazine, and if you don't want your real name to be mentioned in the article please say so now.

This thread also appears in the Consumerwatch forum and Helproom.

gudgulf 20:15 13 Jul 04

To start the ball rolling, will SP2 reqire that all drivers for devices are Microsoft certified or will we still be able to install such drivers (at our own risk)?

spikeychris 20:39 13 Jul 04

Why will the Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2 be enabled by default? Networking issues arise. Its a choice issue isn't it and most people use a third party prog.

"Outlook Express also picks up a neat feature from Microsoft Office Outlook 2003: It won't download images in HTML email by default" Will this be as difficult to overcome as it was with Outlook.

What exactly will the new "Security Center" do?

spikeychris 20:49 13 Jul 04

Will Outlook express go down the Outlook 2003 Security Attachment restriction to .EXE files line?

Jackcoms 21:06 13 Jul 04

Rumours abound that SP2 is going to be huge - as much as 250mb or 95 minutes or so to download on an efficient 512k BB connection.

Is this really a Service Pack or a virtually complete rebuilt of XP by another name?

Will it be immediately available on CD?

LastChip 21:19 13 Jul 04

Will SP2 slow the system down, in terms of boot-up and/or general operation?

This could be particularly annoying for the gaming community and may lead to people shunning its installation.

LastChip 21:30 13 Jul 04

If you re-install XP (no service pack), is it necessary to install SP1 before SP2, or does SP2 take care of all the issues to date?

kev.Ifty 22:21 13 Jul 04

Further to Jackcoms : This service pack HAS to be available on cd, not only because of the size of online download (which many will not bother with. ie: limited broadband [?]),but needs to be.

There are many people that use XP,who will not be aware of this SP2. So it must be readily available. In the way that ISP discs are!!

Also have the security providers such as Symantec etc... had time to "test" for compatibility?

Cheers Kev

Forum Editor 22:36 13 Jul 04

Just what I wanted thanks, but we could use a lot more.

Wreckless Deleter 22:47 13 Jul 04

If Microsoft are sending, or have already sent out versions of this service pack to software and hardware companies for evaluation will they make available a list of all guarenteed compatable software and hard ware that is known/proven to be safely used, or will it be a case of load SP2 and then keep your fingers crossed with regards to what parts of your office equipment and software will function?

At the moment my computer and all its drives usb, 1394, DVD, card readers etc work, as does my scanner, printer, e-mail and internet access, why should I up grade to the best thing since sliced bread if I have no idea what effect it will have on the ability to perform the basic everyday tasks that I use my computer for?

spuds 00:11 14 Jul 04

Microsoft are suggesting that the SP2 pack will not be available via computer magazine cover disks. How do they intend to distribute SP2 and will there be any costs involved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…