Fancy downloading music for nothing.....

Forum Editor 00:43 30 Aug 06

legally?

click here

This will be interesting.

DieSse 01:29 30 Aug 06

Backed by UMG, I see click here

Forum Editor 01:46 30 Aug 06

but I have my doubts about the chances of this project succeeding. Any business model that's based on forcing people to look at a range of advertisements before allowing them access to the goodies is - in my opinion - doomed before it starts. There will be an initial flurry of interest, but I believe they'll have problems consistently generating enough ad revenue - people just will not want to sit and stare at ads before being allowed to download.

Some of us can no doubt recall all the excitement that once greeted a scheme to supply people with free computers, provided they signed an agreement binding them to watch ads for a specific period during each month. There were those of us in the forum who said it was doomed before it started........and we were right.

If I'm wrong about Spiral Frog my humiliation will be public - I've declared my verdict before the launch, although part of me would like the scheme to succeed. We'll see

The launch will only be in the U.S and Canada, so I doubt we in this country will ever get a chance to evaluate the service.

€dstowe 06:38 30 Aug 06

There was a slot on Channel 4 News last night about this.

In addition to having "to sit and stare at ads before being allowed to download." they will also have an ad placed at the beginning of each track on the recorded music and some locking mechanism to prevent it being removed (? cant see how that works but, there are stranger things in the world).

wolfie3000 12:12 30 Aug 06

Free music here, not major artists but alot of good stuff if you hunt around.

click here

DieSse 12:41 30 Aug 06

My guess would be that there'll soon be a hack to strip off the ads.

€dstowe 14:03 30 Aug 06

I'm sure you're right - there's a hack for everything else so I don't think this will present too much of a challenge - hence my "?"

anskyber 14:39 30 Aug 06

My dislike of adverts/spam/junk mail and the like is so clear that wild horses would not drag me to sit and watch the ads, even for free music.

"If I'm wrong about Spiral Frog my humiliation will be public" I think you will be spared this time FE.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:33 30 Aug 06

A collection of tracks to listen to in the car, with an ad at the beginning of every one, is not an attractive proposition. But I doubt it is something we will have to concern ourselves with on this side of the Atlantic.

Forum Editor 17:51 30 Aug 06

It will come here, too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…