Fake charity/retail websites

paul trotter 17:00 13 Nov 08

Has anyone spotted a fake charity or retail website recently? PC Advisor is on the look out for a few examples for a feature.

We're trying to find sites that appear legitimate, but have actually been set up with the sole purpose of ripping people off. These sites do exist, but are tricky to track down unless you stumble across them, in my experience. Ideally we're looking for something that's still active, which is a bit of a long shot. But any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Paul Trotter, PC Advisor

The Brigadier 17:03 13 Nov 08

I normally only give money to a charity face 2 face.
I have one credit card for buying on the net to which the bank kindly capped at £99.99p for safety.

Sadly this time of year their must be scum bags out their looking to make a few £££ dishonestly!

laurie53 20:04 13 Nov 08

Trouble is, Paul, is that most of the users of this forum are savvy enough to recognize one for what it is and ignore it without even registering that they've seen it.

(No doubt sometime within the next two weeks I will now be caught out by one big-time!)

Kevscar1 22:03 13 Nov 08

I could give you a couple of Custom PC sites who promise the earth and don't deliver

Woolwell 22:24 13 Nov 08

Not quite what you had in mind but this site click here is suspicious. It looks like pirated software. Having put in lorgesoft the site comes up as Euro Software and gives a New York address.

spuds 23:57 13 Nov 08

You might find something of interest via the links and a browse from click here

tullie 00:08 14 Nov 08

Havent they capped you at that figure because they dont pay out unless its over £100

paul trotter 11:36 17 Nov 08

Thanks for the suggestions

wee eddie 13:41 17 Nov 08
  octal 13:54 17 Nov 08

Thanks, that made me laugh!

Seth Haniel 14:13 17 Nov 08

click here

Atlas Editions - sell cheap watches £2.50 etc with no money up front - have tried a few times to order but nothing ever comes - don't know whether they are just mining addresses ???

They may be genuine - but still waiting ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…