Fair game or just another annnoyance

namtas 20:18 21 Dec 09

Shopkeeper/garages in fact all public places are being warned dont play music on your premises unless you have a licence.

What will the next money making scheme be?

Don't broadcasters already pay revenue to broadcast this music?

click here

Input Overload 20:23 21 Dec 09

Or don't charge for beer even.

octal 20:32 21 Dec 09

It's an interesting situation, we have the radio on in our workshop, there only a couple of us there at the moment, but we are expecting to employ more engineers in the very near future, I wonder how that leaves us? Also I think it's a bit self defeating as listening to the radio you hear songs on the radio that you later might want to buy, I've purchased tracks that way after hearing them on the radio, without the radio, no record sales.

Also I'm concerned about the phone calls, that's not a very professional way to contact people, it could be anyone calling, I think I would have probably put the phone down on them after telling them to write to me if they are who they say they are.

Hercule Marple 20:53 21 Dec 09

In my last job we had four or five radios playing different stations around the workplace. We weren't allowed to use our own pre-recorded music, because the management reckoned it would just cause a load of arguments over which CD/cassette should be played.

No way the management there would have forked out cash for a licence, and it would have been (even more!) miserable without any background music.

octal 21:03 21 Dec 09

Does anyone remember Workers Playtime? click here

They would have a field day going around these days telling people to turn off their radios or cough up for playing it in the factories.

octal 21:51 21 Dec 09

I've just had a thought, can I get the numbskull who plays their iPod so loud the whole train carriage can hear it prosecuted by the copyright police? They are broadcasting it to the public, no? Thought not.

Chris the Ancient 09:06 22 Dec 09

I have heard of cases where drivers have been playing in-car music too loud, been stopped by the police and reported to PRS/PPL etc. becasue they are making a 'public broadcast'.

Now _that_ I call justice!

It should happen more often.

CtA

DANZIG 09:31 22 Dec 09

...or is this just another way of making sure EVERYONE gets arrested at some point and put on some freaky database???

morddwyd 09:38 22 Dec 09

This isn't new, it regularly comes up that some garage, dentist, doctor's waiting room etc has been told to get a licence.

It protects writers, performers etc and ensures a level playing field for those who do pay for a licence.

I do feel, however, that the money my local surgery, and the local hospitals, pay for a licence, which is calculated on square footage, would be better spent on formal patient care.

jack 09:54 22 Dec 09

I worked with one other in a workshop at the back of the firm.
He had Radio One on all day[Not my scene at all] but as with other sounds and smells I soon learned to 'Tune Out'
When ever he was away I left the radio off- the occasional visitor to the 'shop' used to asked where the sounds were- and some would walk in and timply turn the radio on - almost as if they had walked into a cold room and turned the heating up.
I resorted to then locking it away.
I suspect the 'others' thought I was some sort of 'wierdo' for liking a little bit of quiet.

Hercule Marple 20:40 22 Dec 09

Will this apply to taxis? I haven't used one for years, but they usually had the radio on.

My old barber always used to have Radio 2 playing in his shop. Mind you, he also used to chain smoke while cutting your hair. Probably just as well he's retired now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009