Is This A fact?

crosstrainer 14:30 30 May 08

I have just been informed by a Travel company, that due to my recent DVT, I will no longer be accepted for air travel (or insurance) It seems airlines are unwilling to take passengers who have / are suffering from Deep Vein Thrombosis, in case of a recurrence.

Not good, as I was planning a trip to NZ @ Christmas.

Clapton is God 14:40 30 May 08

It would appear that you CAN get insurance even though you've suffered DVT click here

crosstrainer 14:43 30 May 08

Looked at that one, thanks, but it seems the airlines themselves throw a wobbly: (From a popular carriers' dedicated insurer)

Any past or current Medical Condition (any medical or psychological disease, sickness, condition, illness or injury) that has given rise to symptoms or for which any form of treatment or prescribed medication, medical consultation, investigation or follow-up/check-up has been required or received during the 2 years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any Trip: and
2. any cardiovascular or circulatory condition (e.g. heart condition, hypertension, blood clots, raised cholesterol, stroke) that has occurred at any time prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to any Trip.

crosstrainer 14:44 30 May 08

That lying (which I would not do) is the only way around this....However, there would seem to be sound medical reasons for not flying....Better win the lottery and hire a yacht!

Clapton is God 14:46 30 May 08

Would an airline accept you as a passenger if you promised to keep walking up and down the aisle throughout the flight, thus ensuring that your blood keeps circulating correctly as a means of avoiding DVT?? ;-))

crosstrainer 14:49 30 May 08

:) During Take off and landing? lol!

crosstrainer 15:02 30 May 08

Or perhaps they would let me "Work my passage" as a flight attendant....That would keep me on my feet! Seriously though, it seems from research that the dryness of the cabin air, and the altitude may be as much to blame as inactivity during the flight.

Forum Editor 15:09 30 May 08

your chances of having another episode is five times higher than the baseline risk.

That's why airlines (and insurers) are wary of carrying you.

crosstrainer 15:14 30 May 08

Peter, you don't have a spare yacht knocking about do you?

Yes, I've read the stats on the likelihood of recurrence after first diagnosis, so, as I said there are sound reasons for carriers refusing travel. The compression bandage has to be worn for 2 years after the treatment is completed, and other unpleasant side effects such as leg ulcers can also occur if you fly....Oh well, have to make do with Flight Simx from now on I guess :)

Chegs ®™ 15:24 30 May 08

Sounds harsh but I might agree with the airline/insurance company.They are saying (in effect) that you are at high risk of further trouble,particularly as flying is known to produce DVT and NZ is a hell of a long flight.The airline are trying to advise you the flight might well kill you.The insurance company refusing you insurance is also understandable.If you were the insurance adviser,and were asked to insure a much higher risk,you would but charge a premium,but if the risk is so high that the policy will be an almost certain payout,then its not good business sense to provide cover.

crosstrainer 15:26 30 May 08

Yep, like I said, seems I am now "Grounded"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…